Gjallarhornson- Horn of the Dwarven Hunter

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Gjallarhornson- Horn of the Dwarven Hunter

Post by Ringulf »

As mentiond the other day on the Facebook site, and this morning on Eledhwen's St Hubert's Day post, I have chosen to reveal my Hunting signaling horn today!

Actually I just finnished it today and it was a happy coincidence that it fell upon St Hubert's Day.....or was it?

A while back I was in Tandy and I saw some nice cow horns. I love making drinking horns out of these so I grabbed it along with a load of other stuff and kind of stashed it away for a rainy day project.

Well it was surely was raining the other day, but when I looked at the horn and all the stuff I have to drink out of, I was uninspired.

Then it dawned on me, I have always loved the use of a horn as a signaling horn and watching the battle of Amon Hen and the fall of Mighty Boromir, I decided I would make a horn in the period style to be used in my many groups, signaling, hunting and Art/Sci.

I started with the raw horn, trimmed it and sanded it. Then I went to the tip and cut off about 2.5 to 3 inches.

I bored a hole through the cone of the tip from the inside out, following the natural curve of the hollow. I then carved the tip into a strait pipe about an inch up and down from the tip making a strong ridge or shoulder where the insert would seat.

I then shaped the inside of the mouth peice's bowl and the inside and outside of the lip.

I had made mouthpeices in this fashion before and find it not only traditional, but very satisfying to make the whole horn from itself.

Dressed and inserted I cleaned up and carved the joint of the peice. One could use Hyde glue at this point but this one burried and seated well enough that I refrained from doing so.

I cut and carved a leather rim band and secured it wet with a bit of hyde glue and some stitching, then I did the ferrule end the same way.

finally I cut two one inch wide bands to size, tooled them with the horn's name in runes (Gjallarhorn is the horn Hiemdal uses whilst guarding the Bifrost, So Gjallarhornson is its Dwarven Offspring!) and stitched for fit aound the horn and then to hold two tidy brass rings it was again stitched at the ends.

I stained the first two bands on the horn but the two strap hangers were stained alone then added and sewn.

I enjoyed this project emensly and it produced a nice outcome, I wish I knew how to add a sound byte because it sounds great even at the size I have it.
It has a very mellow tenor tembre, that is very appropriate for one of the Naugrim!

:mrgreen:

I am adding these and their liquid holding Brethren to my marketing mix...Christmas is coming! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Gjallarhornson- Horn of the Dwarven Hunter

Post by Ringulf »

BTW I will be adding the strap to it shortly so I will post that next! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Great looking horn and Amazing work as always.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That really is a nice piece of work! I'm going to have to add that to my very long list of things to do.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks guys! Yes Eric, it is a fun and not to costly or difficult a project depending on the amount of detail you want but I enjoyed it and the results.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Beautiful work! I especially love the clever way you made the horn tip into the mouthpiece. I'll have to remember that!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Looks nice, as usual.

I wish you had posted pics of the making of the mouthpiece. I have a horn sitting here that could be turned into something like this but I hadn't sorted out the mouthpiece. Your description gives me some idea of the process, but it looks like a little experimenting might be in order.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh wow totally missed this last night.. That is NICE!!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am planning on picking up a couple more to make for Christmas, I would be happy to do a little tutorial if you would like with the next one I do.

It will not be exhaustive, but it will document the process as far as I have it here and then anyone can add to it.

I am substituting for a fellow Ranger today and running his Practice, it is down toward Orlando, but it is also very close to our Tandy so it might be a good opportunity to score a few more horns.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

I would love a tutorial!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

As I said in the other thread, very nice.

I will get some of my hunting horn here soon. Sorting out some for my lass and my younger son who have both successfully completed courses in hunting and can now obtain the necessary documents to hunt legally in their own right.

The Forandiri are growing. ;)

Horns are quite simple to work with, and as you pointed out, inexpensive. I always sound mine at the beginning of a hunt...the calls are in my books on medieval hunting. Should I score game, I sound it as well.

Excellent work!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would love to see the traditional horn calls are they something you can reproduce or perhaps let us know where to find them? And would also enjoy seeing what horns you have too! I have some ideas for some of the new ones I would like to do but seeing other's work is always inspirational to the creative mind.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh a Tutorial would be fantastic.. umm with pics as well.. I know I can follow better with pics hehe.. I'm a very visual person. :) :lol:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding! I love your leatherwork! Tutorial please!

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow when it rains it pours!
Not only did I throw the shorts in the wash that had the directions to my Archery practice, I reached down into the deep pocket to look for the paper and see if I could salvage it, and found my saturated missing Bluetooth!
Then I got down to Tandy and it was closed, so no horns!
To top it off I got to the practice on time to set up and I guess no one got the memo, so I sat there from 2:30 to 4:30 with horses and cows for company! (and don't think I didn't give those cows the once over, having come up short for horns!) I refrained myself, no worries, but that means it will take a bit longer for the tutorial, :x sorry folks but I will set it up asap.