New item for kits

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New item for kits

Post by sgainbrachta »

Great stuff for your kit items to stay together and clean. I have used extremely thin rawhide before, but this stuff has been mentioned for food packets, especially greasy ones in historical references.

https://www.jas-townsend.com/product_in ... ts_id=1290

Yup. fake Hog's bladder... I intend to grab some this winter, and basically to form it using a block of wood and some twine into shapes to hold pemmican and the like, as if it is anything like the real thing, it will help keep grease stains off of my nice new pouches! It; again, if it's like what I've messed with before which was sheet form of collagen sausage casing material- is no good to be sewn, but does the westernesse-oragami thing GREAT!

-Eadylferth/Robert
sgainbrachta

Re: New item for kits

Post by sgainbrachta »

Oh- and if any of weren't aware of Jas Townsend and Sons, this is a GREAT resource for the odd bits you might need. And the people there are great to work with- to quote "a quality establishment"...
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks for posting the link! I had never heard of that, actually. Very neat, and I like your idea.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Most welcome! It's the stuff you scrape off of summer sausages and such, though a bit thicker, if I recall correctly.

I thought about just using thin rawhide- but the only really, really thin stuff if terribly expensive- and thus reserved for bow backing material. The scraps, perhaps will do well for small containers, though. We'll see what I end up with as left overs!

Wait... that's ANOTHER project. Dangit.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Most welcome! It's the stuff you scrape off of summer sausages and such, though a bit thicker, if I recall correctly.

I thought about just using thin rawhide- but the only really, really thin stuff if terribly expensive- and thus reserved for bow backing material. The scraps, perhaps will do well for small containers, though. We'll see what I end up with as left overs!

Wait... that's ANOTHER project. Dangit.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Interesting. You could probably get this stuff soft, wrap up your salt pork in it, and tie it off in a little ration-sized packet. I like the idea. Been trying to decide how I want to carry my salt pork this year...I may give this a go.

I'll second JasTown. They're a quality establishment.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

salt pork, cheese- any of it. Looking into other suppliers as well, on the principle that it may well be available cheaper, and in larger pieces.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh you can also use these waxed linen cloth pieces for most of the same thing as well.

http://historicenterprises.com/waxed-li ... th=102_186

You can easily use them to wrap salted pork in for transporting.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I've used them, they leak through the grease~ Pretty badly in summer. Mind you, summer here is in the high 90-100s, so your mileage may vary...

I do have some waxed linen in my kit, but this is 4 12"x12" squares for $6 or 7, so the ability to just pitch it when done is nice, too.

To MAKE some waxed linen, all you need to do is get a heat gun, a plank of soft wood, fabric of choice, brown paper (grocery bag~) and either beeswax or paraffin. Pin the fabric to the plank, with the paper under it. pull it as tight as possible! Rub the wax block over the fabric really hard- so you get a good layer of wax on it. Use the heat gun to melt it in, and repeat until you get good saturation. pull the pines, and then heat it again- and pull the paper off, trim the un-waxed cloth off, and you are good to go! You can also use a hair dryer, but I don't think a propane torch is a good idea. DOn't ask why, just know it isn't a good idea. Seriously.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

sgainbrachta wrote: You can also use a hair dryer, but I don't think a propane torch is a good idea. DOn't ask why, just know it isn't a good idea. Seriously.
Reminds me of how I briefly and inadvertantly became the star of a blacksmithing demonstration once. :shock: . It was then that I realized that one must pay attention to the flashpoint of beeswax.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I know of what you speak, oh bald-armed brother!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

:lol: :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.