Ceadmon/Ringulf Costrel project

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Ceadmon/Ringulf Costrel project

Post by caedmon »

ringulf wrote:Sorry it seems the parameters for picture size may have been changed on the site, so these may not have the same amount of detail that the rest of the thread has. (must have missed that memo! :wink: )
Arghh, that's my fault. I was poking around on the back end. I've upped the limit.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah cool. thanks Ceadmon! My next batch will include some of the past ones at the normal size, I will be updating some more this evening. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well as the master said...."It is finished!"

Yep the Ringulf Ceadmon Costrel project is finally coming to a close. (for me at least!)

I must say that this has been a tremendous learning experience for me in many ways.
With all the projects that have come over my bench, since this one was commissioned, this one seemed to sit in the background taunting me as I learned little things form all the others that helped me get to the next stage.
As a result there is a bit of a progression in style and in skill level from the first to the last.

The project has spanned nearly a year and a half and I must say thank you to Jack for not giving up on me entirely and being so patient. There were times during this project that these things loomed in front of me and gave me such creative terror, as I wanted them to be perfect! (And of course times that I so enjoyed working on them that I did not want it to end.)

Well, we all know that perfection is not part of my character and it seems the best and bravest thing I could do was to press on, making progress and mistakes and not getting discouraged or daunted by my lack of skill or knowledge.
Project priorities, holidays and yo yo-ing health issues aside, here we are.

As I said, I learned a lot, and in the end these became a motivational source to propel me forward in my leathercrafting journey.

So, Thank you Jack, I hope they are what you had invisioned and I do pray they serve you and your boys well.

The last thing I need is your address as I would like to send them on there way tommorow. It is going to be like sending triplets off to college, I was going to give them all names and assign them rooms pretty soon!

As for the rest of you following the project I will now take the time to have a little project blackout as the finished peices are sent so that Jack and his boys can be the first to see the "reveal" I will leave it to him to end this thread.

(besides I have to figure out an entirely new system for posting pictures as my photobucket with it's 1024 standard pixel size is too laborious to change everytime I post) :mrgreen:

~Ringulf
Last edited by Ringulf on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ringulf wrote:As for the rest of you following the project I will now take the time to have a little project blackout as the finished peices are sent so that Jack and his boys can be the first to see the "reveal" I will leave it to him to end this thread.

(besides I have to figure out an entirely new system for posting pictures as my photobucket with it's 1024 standard pixel size is too laborious to change everytime I post) :mrgreen:

Awesome, I eagerly await them. We will post when they are unboxed. Also I believe they are currently unlined, so the boys & I will be lining them with bees wax per the indications noted on Le Loup's site. http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2 ... oking.html

On another note I have figured out, and removed all restrictions on the Image size, I apologize for the interruption. :: Note to self: Don't fix if it ain't broke ::

PM with address to be sent soon.

-Jack
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

They are on their way to the Great White North! Let me know when they get there! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ringulf wrote:They are on their way to the Great White North!

We got the USPS notification, and my wife's picking it up this afternoon. I won't be opening them just yet. Tomorrow's my birthday so I am waiting for it.
-Jack Horner

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

YOU TRICKED ME!

I thought I was going to get to see them. Jerk.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hah! I am so happy they got there for your Birthday! I have missed all too many holidays to have been late for this one too! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

You call me Jerk!?!! Well you don't have this staring you in the face.

I call it WILL OF IRON (or at least bismuth)

WIN_20140210_214717.JPG
WIN_20140210_214717.JPG (542.26 KiB) Viewed 11069 times
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ok, kids are in bed, It's time for the reveal.

Ringulf, I'm amazed, you're an artist. The pictures do not do it justice. I had envisioned andexpected some incised lines and a little bit of tooling, but the detail is amazing.
2014-02-11 17.30.19.jpg
2014-02-11 17.30.19.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 11048 times
Trim has knotwork toolling, faces are tooled in bas relief, maile is highlighted, and Beor the Old has his Yukon pack well in order. And finally, completely unexpected, each stopper has a molded head, a ranger hood, elvish helm, and dwarven helm if I'm not mistaken. Nice touch. Sadly the ranger hood broke in transit, but it was easily fixed.
WIN_20140211_223602.JPG
WIN_20140211_223602.JPG (171.43 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
WIN_20140211_223610.JPG
WIN_20140211_223610.JPG (248.96 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
WIN_20140211_223617.JPG
WIN_20140211_223617.JPG (200.94 KiB) Viewed 11048 times

This project had multiple facets for me. I wanted to have something I needed, was related to a real world object but wasn't an exact copy. (Very hard for me) And finally, I wanted them to be Dunedain cultural artifacts that extend our stock motifs past the star and white tree.

I gave my boys first dibs on which they wanted, and there was nearly a fist fight over Arvedui/Aranarth, last King of Arthedain and his son, the first chieftain of the Dunedin.
WIN_20140211_232233.JPG
WIN_20140211_232233.JPG (289.6 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
I had expected that, it was settled after first blood was drawn, and my ten year old then chose Beren/Luthien. This was a surprise as it had a girl on it (it's my personal favorite design, with it's twelfth century inspired motif. )
WIN_20140211_223700.JPG
WIN_20140211_223700.JPG (405.36 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
That left me with the Meeting of Beor the Old and Finrod Felagund. An awesome piece as well, and a motif I took a while designing. I had toyed with several interpretation and finally settled on a Russo-Mongolian look for Beor. As it was when he first passed over from the East. The detail on the fur trim, and Phyrgian cap are excellent.
WIN_20140211_223647.JPG
WIN_20140211_223647.JPG (331.09 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
The next step will be to line them, which will take a few weeks as my wife has convinced me to get food grade beeswax rather than the wax from our hives which has impurities, random bee parts, etc. This also gives me tome to obsess over methods.
-Jack Horner

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Absolutely Stunning ! Congratulations to both Jack and Scott that looks to have exceeded both your expectations.
Simply Amazing !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am so glad that you and your family like them.
I tried to be as dedicated to the faithful reproduction of your truly beautiful artwork as possible, the little details like the trim and the fur as well as the topography of the layered clothing and all was the stuff I enjoyed the most.
The leather is very strurdy at 6-8oz and the waxed thread is meant to match it as well as meld with the bee's wax during the final sealing process.
As I mentioned you can see a bit of a skill jump from the first one with Beren and Luthian to Beor and Finrod that was the backgrounding tool that I got to make a cleaner texture. I had a hard time with a favorite as they all had some special sentiment to me. The toppers seemed like the right thing to do as they would have seemed incomplete without, but I did want them to be a surprise, so no mention was made. Sorry the hood broke in transit, it showed no sign of problems before I packed it but if that had to be the token casualty I am glad it was easy to fix, at any rate If you or your boys would like a replacement or something different I can make more.
I think the hanging straps should help the fact that they have the square ears, unfortunately I could not easily cut them on a 45 degree angle after sewing them but the slot and belt with the ring should have them pulling properly when attached to a strap and then the three of you have a customized strap project to work on! :mrgreen:

Oh and BTW kudos to my wife Brandwyn who wove the lanyards for the toppers so they would be long enough to unstop but not easy to lose, The leather mantles cover the neck so they don't look like they are fresh from the gallows!

The selections make sense, the cool King and Ranger at 13 is the way I saw it, and of course Beren has that way gnarley stump so even if there is an elf chick...well...he'll grow into that :wink: , But I am glad that you got Beor and Fin, that one has details that were made specifically for you Jack, and I knew you were the one who was going to appreciate them and the symblolism of friendship representative in this particular meeting. :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Turned out very nice. +1 for the Yukon Pack.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Awesome! The detail just pops in the pic, well done!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Holy guacamole those things are incredible! I'm just about speechless! Absolutely breathtaking! I think my favorite is Beren and Luthien as well. I love the 12th C. inspired motif.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains