Custom Longbow Review

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Custom Longbow Review

Post by Greg »

Greetings!

Life's been full of new in my life lately...new house, new baby...I haven't had a ton of time for Ranger-related projects. Thankfully, someone else was hard at work for me.

Gondian, as you know, is a bowmaker. His products are available through Kult of Athena in a package deal, seen here:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... ongbow+Set
These bows are Ash which are stained partially to appear like the constrasting colors found in authentic Yew bows.

This review does not cover one of those, but it DOES cover a bow made by Gondian. That information is simply there for those who are intersted in his bows. Thankfully, you all have an additional way of contacting the bowyer...private messaging.

At any rate, here we go.

I contacted Gondian about a custom longbow a good while back, and I had some very specific requests. I've been wanting to get rid of the last major eyesore in my kit for some time now...my bow. I've been carrying a fiberglass recurve for several years as a part of my Ranger kit, and I'm tired of being so glaringly inaccurate. I approached Rocky about building me a D-section longbow with horn nocks that was significantly shorter than the average longbow.

A moment about short bows. The longer the bow is, generally, the smoother the draw will be, the less it will stack, and the less of a set the limbs will take over time. A shorter bow will tend to show bad qualities such a these, which will in turn affect performance and create bad habits in the archer.

In short, if you'll pardon the pun, I was taking a little bit of a risk, but I had faith in Gondian's abilities, and little tolerance for a fullsize longbow in the woods.

The specs I gave him were as follows:

As close to 58" as possible without the bow exploding.
As close to 60# draw weight as possible without the bow exploding.
As close to 27" draw length as possible without the bow exploding.
D-Section
Horn Nocks

He succeeded, but there were a few hiccups along the way, which I am only going to bring up to show what great customer service he provides.

He had my bow ready to go within a timely manner, no issues. However, before he could ship it, he had a renaissance faire that his stall was set up at. While he wasn't looking, someone working in his stall had been misinformed about my bow being a showpiece for the day, and sold it. Whoops.

I wasn't in a big hurry, so it wasn't a big deal...frankly, it was highly complimentary to me that someone would like my nonstandard longbow so much that they'd buy it on the spot without seeing it ever before.

So he got to work on a replacement, and a week or so later messaged me that it was finished. There were a few complications, though. Not all pieces of wood are created equal, and this one had found itself pulling aorund 40#, rather than the 60# ballpark I had requested. He offered it to me, and said if I didn't want that one, he could get started on a replacement.

It's not legal to hunt with a bow under 45# in most states, so I compromised. The images he had sent me of the underweight bow were lovely, and I decided to send him payment for an additional bow, and take both of them. It's always handy to have a backup, I'd love to teach my wife to shoot with a heavier bow eventually, and I trek with people who don't own bows sometimes, so having a loaner never hurts.

He got back to the drawing board and cranked out yet another bow, and finally, it was time. Once shipped, the bows arrived promptly, in exceptional packaging.

The limb tips were wrapped in bubble wrap on both ends, and strips of foam along the length of the box held the bows floating in place, away from the sides and ends.

Once out of the box, I took some measurements, to see how close to spec we got. In my initial request, I picked the length of 58" because it was 10" past the length of my last one, and in my head, 5" on each end seemed manageable in the woods. The bows wound up at 62", which is still quite short for a historical bow, though modern glassed longbows wind up around 62" commonly. Still a manageable length in the woods, I've found. I'm pleased.

The specs were within reasonable tolerances of my requests. If I paid $800 each for these bows, I'd have expected them to be closer. I've paid $200 for bows, and they've been further away from my requests than this time...and I paid less for these. In short, considering the difficulty in hitting a draw weight accurately with the materials and type of bow requested...I'm sold. Rocky knows what he's doing.

The horn nocks are gorgeous. He was nice enough to use a deep oxblood red horn on the lighter bow, and a mixed black and amber horn on the heavier bow, so they're easy to tell apart from across the room. The top nock on a bow is traditionally longer and stylized, but I asked him to just make a matched pair of bottom nocks on both ends...the longer ones just aren't my thing, so forgive him for that. If you look at his bows on Kult of Athena, you'll see that they are done in the traditional manner. The wood itself shows a few minor toolmarks here and there, visible only upon close inspection, but that just encourages me that they are truly handmade, and I din't see that taking away at all from their appearance. Just adds to the authenticity to me.

Bows made from a single piece of wood also have a tendency to, if made poorly, not line up well with themselves. That's kinda hard to describe...they get a bit "snakey" so to speak. The easiest way to check this is to see how it lines up with the string, like so:

As you can see...not a problem.

Tiller is a HUGE potential issue with handmade longbows. If the limbs don't curve evenly, they will accelerate at different speeds, destroying accuracy. In addition, if they curve too sharply at one point along the limb, called a "hinge", it compromises the structural integrity of the bow...and it'll blow up. The tiller on these limbs is stunning.

And, of course, if the rest of the images didn't prove it yet...the bows are just stunning looking from top to bottom, and fit in with my kit very well.

On to performance.

I expected a little bit of stacking (sharp increase in draw weight) in the last few inches of the draw, but encountered none. The arrow speed is respectable for a non-glassed longbow, and overall I'm very pleased. Due to their lack of a cut-in arrow shelf, you'll have to make sure that you have arrows that are appropriately spined for the bow if you buy one, but I have yet to find a true flaw in either of them.

If you're in the market for a longbow, I'd highly recommend these. A longer, more historically appropriate bow by this same maker will, I'm sure, shoot even smoother than mine.

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Custom Longbow Review

Post by Ringulf »

Very informative review Greg! I am so glad you did this for our sake and Rocky's!
He is an artist and craftsman of quality and I know he has a heart of oak as well. I do like the perameters you set for your bow, very well thought out.

I have been thinking about a new bow myself, actually for quite a while, and I have been on the fence with the size and style of it.

Not actually being a dwarf I would prefer to be shooting a nice high poundage Longbow on the tall side of the spectrum. (I am best known for my distance shooting in the SCA) I was interested in what form of bow (besides a crossbow) a Dwarven Ranger or Lookout/Guard might have employed.

We tossed around the idea of a short bow akin to a NA Plains bow, Perhaps usefull in the forest or astride a quick pony with a Buffulo 10 feet away. lots of power, high poundage, short draw.

And of course I was playing with the idea of creating a "Heavy Yumi" type that would allow for a powerful upper body and short legs (but this is conjectural and not supported anywere within Tolkien's works, just the creation of a dwarven mindset)

I would invite the suggestions of the group to get ideas and opinions but I will set up another thread for that, suffice it to say that I would want Rocky to craft my bow no matter what form it ends up to be!

:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks like a great bow.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice review and addition to your kit. When you get a chance please take a pic of it being drawn in kit. I'd like to see a side view of it at full draw.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Will do...in about three weeks. I got the box the day before we flew to Cali for Christmas *chuckles*. I was nervous as hell, expecting the box to finally arrive hours after we left. That would've been REALLY disappointing.
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

Thank you for the review!

It's a lovely piece, and I am terribly jealous!

My bows are still creeping up on the right weight and draws...
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Great review! I'm thinking I might just end up ordering a similar bow from Rocky some day after I fail or abandon my quest to craft my own. I absolutely love the custom arrows he made for me, and I'm sure his bows are just as amazing.

A question: what length were you drawing to on your previous bow? You haven't always drawn to 27", have you? I've always shot with a 30" draw length and am wondering how much of an adjustment to shooting habits must be made to start shooting at a shorter length. It seems like it could be tricky what with not having the consistent nock point of the mouth-corner.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

That's impressive. I have a very small amount of bow-making experience myself, and realise that that must have been pretty tough to make.
Good job Gondian!!

I find it matches the rest of the kit perfectly and really looks the part! What sort of arrow do you plan to shoot with it?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Those two bows look astonishing! Props to Gondian's customer service, well done!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ernildir wrote:What length were you drawing to on your previous bow? You haven't always drawn to 27", have you? I've always shot with a 30" draw length and am wondering how much of an adjustment to shooting habits must be made to start shooting at a shorter length. It seems like it could be tricky what with not having the consistent nock point of the mouth-corner.
I was drawing 28" before. Stance is a big part of what your draw length turns into. If I stand like an olympic archer, wide open stance and back straight, I draw 31". In the woods, my stance is a bit more "closed"...my legs aren't wide apart, my bow arm is a little more bent, and I lean into it, with the bow canted. You can still draw to the corner of your mouth...I do. I'll never recommend drawing to a "floating" anchor point. Instead of having an open stance and knowing when I'm at full draw by hitting my anchor point, I hit my anchor point and know when I'm at full draw when the back of my broadhead hits my knuckle.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:
Ernildir wrote:What length were you drawing to on your previous bow? You haven't always drawn to 27", have you? I've always shot with a 30" draw length and am wondering how much of an adjustment to shooting habits must be made to start shooting at a shorter length. It seems like it could be tricky what with not having the consistent nock point of the mouth-corner.
I was drawing 28" before. Stance is a big part of what your draw length turns into. If I stand like an olympic archer, wide open stance and back straight, I draw 31". In the woods, my stance is a bit more "closed"...my legs aren't wide apart, my bow arm is a little more bent, and I lean into it, with the bow canted. You can still draw to the corner of your mouth...I do. I'll never recommend drawing to a "floating" anchor point. Instead of having an open stance and knowing when I'm at full draw by hitting my anchor point, I hit my anchor point and know when I'm at full draw when the back of my broadhead hits my knuckle.
Makes sense. Thank you.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Gondian,

Gorgeous bows.

Greg,

I am very jealous, I have wanted a horn knock bow for a long time.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are beauties! Did you say you paid less than $200 for each? That's a bloody steal, from the looks of it! May I ask how much you paid, or would that be more specific than you're willing to get in the thread?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll let Gondian talk pricing, but yes, I paid under $200 apiece.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's fantastic. I think I know where I'm going for my next longbow.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains