Spring Indy Moot - March/April

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Spring Indy Moot - March/April

Post by Greg »

In a few weeks, I'll be headed to California for my sister's wedding. On March 25th, I will be returning. For the next two weeks, my wife will be remaining in California to visit her family for a bit, and I will be bachelor-ing it up. In short, I am in dire need of a good few days in the woods, and would like to Cordially invite you all to join me.

I'll be doing this on one of two sets of dates, as my days off are not all that flexible in the spring/summer. I apologize, as these dates are not all that convenient, but they are what I have available, so if anyone is able to join me for a pair of nights on either of the following date spreads, please let me know.

March 26th - March 28th
April 2nd - April 4th

This would be two nights under the stars in a pine grove on my boss's property. Don't worry about the former $5 fee...I've gotten that waived. We'd meet around whatever time works best for whoever comes out...otherwise, I'll go when I feel like it. You'll need to supply yourself with two dinners, two breakfasts, and a lunch. We still have permission to carry anything period, but don't bother with wasters and other heavy gear. I'll have Dusty with us, so we'll go hawking, do some shooting, possibly paddle on the lake/fish, and hike around a fair bit, so come to be mobile. Whether I have company or not, I'm planning a route that'll involve covering a few miles each day to hit some key landmarks/sites and such, and we probably won't spend both nights at the same base camp, so plan accordingly. I WILL have a water pump, so refills will be possible.

If anyone can make it, great. If not...I'll be going anyway, and I'll pick the dates myself.

Cheers!

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Spring Indy Moot - March/April

Post by deadextra »

I can get time off for this, no preference on dates.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'd love to make it, but I don't think I can get away for the whole time. My wife's a professor and teaches Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I could maybe get away one day, more likely a Wednesday or Thursday, but you'd be on the trail and there'd be no way to cross paths with you, would there?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Straelbora, there definitely would be. My work is on a 1,000 acre site with 30 miles of trails that constantly intertwine and such. If you could guarantee your time of arrival on a particular day, I could place you at the appropriate car-accessible part of the facility for where we'd be, and we'd simply "Pick you up".
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Straelbora, there definitely would be. My work is on a 1,000 acre site with 30 miles of trails that constantly intertwine and such. If you could guarantee your time of arrival on a particular day, I could place you at the appropriate car-accessible part of the facility for where we'd be, and we'd simply "Pick you up".
That would be great. Thanks.

OK. Now the hard part- convincing my wife to let me disappear for a day. What's the nearest town to where we'd be meeting up? That gives me an idea about drive time from Indy, at least.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Nashville.

Due to a sudden conflict, I'm going to have to restrict this to the second trio of days, as the first is now occupied.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hokay, details for this will be, roughly, as follows.

On Tuesday the 2nd, we'll meet midafternoon...say at 3 pm or so. I'll get clearance to park by the lake. See map linked below. You'll pulll in, take a right turn past the red barn, and drive through the campground all the way back, and park at the steep grassy hill which is the dam of our lake. Deadextra, you'll remember this as the area where we came out of the woods during the rain last time.

We will paddle across the lake, "hide the boats, and continue on foot."

Straelbora, we'll need to know pretty soon what day, if any, you'll be coming by, and at what time, so we can plan that little "pick-up" accordingly if you're still able to come.

We'll break camp Thursday morning and head out, to be done at whatever time we feel like.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

[quote="Greg"]

Straelbora, we'll need to know pretty soon what day, if any, you'll be coming by, and at what time, so we can plan that little "pick-up" accordingly if you're still able to come.

I'll speak to my wife and see if I can finagle leaving earlhy Wednesday morning and coming home Wednesday night. Thanks.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

That'd be just fine. Let me know what time, and I'll set something up.

Whether or not you join us for breakfast will be a bit of a toss-up, but you'll definitely need a lunch and dinner for the day. Will you be joining us in any kind of Middle Earth kit, perchance?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:That'd be just fine. Let me know what time, and I'll set something up.

Whether or not you join us for breakfast will be a bit of a toss-up, but you'll definitely need a lunch and dinner for the day. Will you be joining us in any kind of Middle Earth kit, perchance?
If I can make it, it will be in Middle Earth kit. According to Google maps, it's 1 hour ten minutes from my house to Nashville.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Glad to hear it!

Just a quick admission...this will be somewhat weather-dependant. Very much up in the air. If the nights are to drop too far, we may forego the nights and make this into a one-day trip around the woods through a dinner and then break for home on the Wednedsay. Nobody's going to die on my watch.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Glad to hear it!

Just a quick admission...this will be somewhat weather-dependant. Very much up in the air. If the nights are to drop too far, we may forego the nights and make this into a one-day trip around the woods through a dinner and then break for home on the Wednedsay. Nobody's going to die on my watch.
Sounds good. Are you planning on cooking dinner Wednesday? If so, I've got some venison in the freezer that should get cooked.
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

By the way: there was no map posted in an earlier comment when you said to see 'the map below.'

And at this point, how many people are likely showing up?

Thanks.
Hávamál
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

I'm still on, no scheduling issues. I'm just trying to get a few projects done beforehand and then I'll be smoking some cod in a few days.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

deadextra wrote: I'll be smoking some cod in a few days.

What kind of paper do you use ?

:)