Spring Indy Moot - March/April

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Spring Indy Moot - March/April

Post by deadextra »

Well the oldest European paper document we know of was made from linen in the early 12th century, I really haven't tried to source that.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Pardon my error. You'll be parking at the area near the top of the map labelled "Lake Parking". There are wooden posts in the ground barring the way any further, and you'll see a steep grassy hill which is the earthen dam that formed the lake.

http://www.explorebrowncounty.com/image ... %20map.pdf

As for cooking Wednesday evening, absolutely. If we stay wednesday night, no question about it, but if we decided we would just make a day out of it on Wednesday, which is possible, we'll still have an afternoon/evening fire and dinner, for sure.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Looking at my calendar, I see that the only way I could make it Wednesday is if I bring my son with me. It's his Spring Break. We've gone on hikes that have lasted several hours, and so long as the trekking isn't too demanding, I don't have any concerns on that front (and frankly, being about 40lbs overweight and rapidly approaching 50, the hike can't be too much for me, either). However, I can completely understand if others who are coming would rather not have a little kid on the hike.

The positive point is that we only live an hour away, so if he became too exhausted or disruptive to the enjoyment of the event by others, I can easily bug out early without consequence. I'm even toying with the idea of renting a cabin (if there's one available) for the evening, so if we had to leave the moot, we could still stick around and have some fun in the woods.

Maybe you could have everyone who is thinking of coming private message you about whether or not they'd mind me bringing him. If it turns out the majority woud rather not, I would hold no ill will. Thanks.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

One of these days ( sighs and crosses fingers) ill get a vacation at the same time you have a Ranger moot. Not in the cards as i got declined for a vacation for the next four months. really need an east coast moot too. (somthing for discussion and planning?) hope you all have a great time( Greg ill say a prayer for good weather for you all) .
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

I, personally, have no problem with a younger one coming along. The hiking won't really be all that demanding, and both deadextra and I enjoy teaching outdoor skills, having both been in scouts, etc. I'd like to cover a bit of ground, true, but the elevation changes in Brown County are minimal, and we'll have enough little stops along the way for various discussions and/or meal breaks that I doubt if anyone would really have trouble keeping up.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

To agree with Greg; if he is used to hiking this terrain won't be particularly strenuous. It's the same sort of ground that my scout troop does an annual day-long orienteering course in down to the seventh graders, and they don't usually complain at all.

My giant tarp is staying home this time Greg, thing's too darn bulky.

I've been trying to work out ways of carrying more water, the best I've come up with is just a goat skin but I think I'm going to have to wait to get a contact in the middle east to source something like that. Another option is using red wine to make the water safe...I'm tempted to risk my stomach.
Greg

Post by Greg »

As for the water, since all of the streams will most likely be running due to recent snowmelt, I'd probably be willing to risk my own stomach as well. I'll have have my hand pump with me, though. Andy's old site brought this into consideration, and his perspective was that streams in Middle Earth were most likely still clean and free of pollution, so he simply carried purification tablets.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

So am I good to plan to bring my son? If so, there's some stuff I want to put together for him this weekend.

Thanks.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Go for it. This is going to be fun.

If I may ask...how old is he?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Due to some unforseen scheduling conflicts that have arisen, I'm going to have to cut my participation in this moot short. I now have to work on one of the days, as well as pick up a friend from the airport who has come across complications, so my changes will be as follows.

Tuesday, meeting as usual. Tuesday night, camp as usual.
Wednesday, do breakfast, meetup with Straelbora and Co. as planned, hike around, do lunch with a fire somewhere, possibly fly the hawk, etc. No problems.

Wednesday at about 3:30 pm, I need to head out to hop in the car and drive to the airport. The following day I have to work off-site for a promotional event, so I'll only have one night in me for this one. I apologize, but at least we're still having one. Straelbora, the sooner you are able to arrive on Site Wednesday, the better. When I camp, I usually wake at sunrise (which will be ~7:23 am that day) so if you can be there by about 8, we'll get the most out of our/your day.

Sound good?

As for a meeting time on Tuesday, which I just realized we never set...how's 2:30 pm at the lake parking lot sound, deadextra?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Due to some unforseen scheduling conflicts that have arisen, I'm going to have to cut my participation in this moot short. I now have to work on one of the days, as well as pick up a friend from the airport who has come across complications, so my changes will be as follows.

Tuesday, meeting as usual. Tuesday night, camp as usual.
Wednesday, do breakfast, meetup with Straelbora and Co. as planned, hike around, do lunch with a fire somewhere, possibly fly the hawk, etc. No problems.

Wednesday at about 3:30 pm, I need to head out to hop in the car and drive to the airport. The following day I have to work off-site for a promotional event, so I'll only have one night in me for this one. I apologize, but at least we're still having one. Straelbora, the sooner you are able to arrive on Site Wednesday, the better. When I camp, I usually wake at sunrise (which will be ~7:23 am that day) so if you can be there by about 8, we'll get the most out of our/your day.

Sound good?

My son is 3.5, but very big (99+% for height and weight at 3'6" and 45lbs) and very 'tuned in' for his age. He's started some martial arts training and the teacher was dubious at first, but says that he's focus and self-control better than most of his five and six year old students.

As to getting there by 8, I think that's doable. According to Google Maps, it's one hour seven minutes from my door to the site.

As for a meeting time on Tuesday, which I just realized we never set...how's 2:30 pm at the lake parking lot sound, deadextra?
Hávamál
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Cutting the end short makes me want to start earlier, are you doing something earlier that would prevent us from having tuesday lunch on site?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Heck no. Let's meet at 11 am on Tuesday. That sound better?

Straelbora, I'll plan to be at the lake Parking lot at about 8 am, then. Looking forward to meeting you guys! Gonna be a blast.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Sounds great. Is just the three and a half of us or are we having the junior camo ranger or your wife Greg?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Wife's in Cali visiting family, hene the timing of the trip. The other camo cohort will not be joining us.