Ranger Designs

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Ranger Designs

Post by BarrelMaker »

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and excited to be here! I began a project a few weeks ago and am hoping to get some cool ideas from you veterans, if I may request that. I bought a large piece of canvas drop cloth with the hopes of making a bedroll. I planned it out and began cutting, sewing and applying linseed oil. I thought it was a cool original layout...until about 30 minutes ago when I saw the same design by Panther Primitives via Greg here - http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... ?f=5&t=498
Well, so I'm not as original as I thought, but it's still a pretty cool design. Now as for your advice, before oiling the outer flap I had planned to draw a few cool designs on it. But I wanted something more than artwork, I'm a firm believer in function over form. So what could I do that would serve a purpose? So far I'm thinking of a star map, perhaps with markers for the midnight view on the solstices and equinoxes, and/or drawings of useful plants (would also perhaps serve as some camouflage). Any other ideas or suggestions?
I'm really looking forward to everyones input and hope to post pictures once I'm done. Thanks to you all!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Ranger Designs

Post by caedmon »

When faced with these tasks I draw from the Legendarium. I pick scenarios and stories of the great men of the first age, or the Northern kingdom. I also pull heraldry from the same sources. For example, I have picked Narsil broken, rather than the dunedain star or the white tree, as my own badge of 'rangerness'. Another possible use might be a growing map of Middle Earth, add bits as you explore?

Here is a link to some leather water bottles (costrels) that Ringulf is making for me that illustrate that: http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... 960#p22960 (The subjects are Beren & Luthien)
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Re: Ranger Designs

Post by BarrelMaker »

Thanks for the advice! I especially like the idea of a map which can be built upon as I travel, perhaps a bestiary as well? The leatherwork is wonderful, it looks like you'll have a wonderful piece soon. Will you be posting pictures once you receive it?