New to the Forum

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

New to the Forum

Post by BarrelMaker »

Hello all. Thought I should introduce myself. This is my second submission (first being a question) and I'm still reading through the many posts on this forum. I must admit I'm completely green so I'm sure most of my questions will be considered general knowledge to many of you, I apologize in advance. I live in the mountains of NC, am 29 and a stay-at-home father. I've always been interested in the outdoors and self-reliance. That's probably what drew me to the rangers. I've only seen the LotR movies, haven't had time to read the books (hopefully not a grievous sin here), I have however read the first 5 books of Flanagans Ranger series. I love crafting my own items, am in the process of making a bedroll and have plans to make my own garb as well as bow once spring starts.
Well, just wanted to say hello and tell everyone a little about myself. Please feel free ask any questions you'd like, and I'm happy to be a part of this community.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Ringulf »

Welcome Ranger!
As you will find with many of us, we have much in common!
We welcome pictures of your gear and garb and any projects you might be working on, either showing the completed project or W.I.P. It is fine to show and tell or seek advice and opinions, ask lots of questions and share whenever you can!
I am also a huge fan of the Flanigan books and I am a global moderator for a Writing RPG based on his works called Halt's Playground. Stop by if you get a chance!
:mrgreen:

http://araluenrpg.proboards.com/
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome to the forum as Ringulf said we like pictures. Questions as well as suggestions are always appreciated.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Welcome to the group!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

welcome to the group
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Welcome, sir!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well met!

I'm also a big Ranger's Apprentice fan, and truth be told, it took me a veeery long time to finish reading the Lord of the Rings books, so you're in good company :)
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Welcome BarrelMaker!
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Post by BarrelMaker »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'm excited to be a part of this community and hope to earn my keep. I do have one question that nags at me from time to time and would like your opinions on it. I mean no offense by this, but I notice several of you have significant others (like myself) and some of you have children (again, like myself), do any of you worry about what others may think of your passion in this field, in particular your families? My son is only four (we also have another child on the way) but I worry about embarrassing him as he grows and I do worry about embarrassing my wife as well. My wife works at a university and given the nature of her job we also live on campus, which complicates things further. How receptive have your families been and how do you make it work at home? Thanks again for the welcome and thank you for reading about my personal concerns. I look forward to hearing your advice and approaches in this matter.
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Well, my children are long since grown, but I'd say if you're not embarrassing your children by a certain age, you're probably not doing something right. By the time they're young teens they're supposed to be embarrassed by you. I say have fun with it! As for my significant other, well, she's as weird as I am, so we're a perfect match.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Fox wrote:Well, my children are long since grown, but I'd say if you're not embarrassing your children by a certain age, you're probably not doing something right. By the time they're young teens they're supposed to be embarrassed by you. I say have fun with it! As for my significant other, well, she's as weird as I am, so we're a perfect match.
I echo these sentiments to the letter and along with them I might add, that I have never been one to worry much about what others think of me.
I have always flown the nerd flag very high and it seems to me that society as a whole is starting to swing back around to the realization that nerds* are cool, nerds are honest about themselves and if you are not one already you will most likely be working for one in the near future, because eventually, we are going to be running the world.

That being said I warn you that I Act and Sing, I Larp, I roleplay, online and tabletop and I am a card carrying member of the Society for Creative Annacronism.
My kids have done it along with me since they were old enough to walk and now in there twenties enjoy it even more than I do.

I do take notice of the way my son handles it though because society is much more difficult in someways now to negotiate than when I was growing up.
As a young man who interacts in a modern culture, he seems to have a great balance in his life. He is Smart, athletic, socialy adept and in a commited relationship. He is getting his masters in a Psycological/scientific field.
He is also a singer/drummer, acted in HS but also wrestled and studied martial arts before college.

He now larps with his dear old Dad and is a ranger and heavy fighter in the SCA. He claims that all the great imaginative projects that we did as he was growing up and even now as we make weapons and armor and costuming and such and the weapons practice in the backyard, spurred his interest in his current feild of Human Factors. He uses a combination of Psycology and engineering to creat and design for the end user. Anything from car interiors and heads up displays to traffic signs and advertisement placement.

I have always tried to be a cool Dad and not embarass he and my daughter (who is a music and religious studies major) and I know I have not always succeeded but the majority of their friends, male and female, once they are sufficiently prepared for who I am, are more interested in a possitive way than uncomfortable. That also may speak well of the way we raised them and how they choose those they cares about.

Relax! You will be surprised how so many people you may have thought critical of who you are or what you do, if they are honest with themselves, are wishing they were doing what you are doing.

And you know, if they can't bring themselves to actually let go and enjoy it, I would think it is their disfunction more than it would be yours.

:mrgreen: ~Ringulf

* a nerd to me is merely one who is passionate about a particular thing or activity that is not within the mainstream culture. I think almost all of us is nerdy about something if you look hard enough
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Fox wrote:Well, my children are long since grown, but I'd say if you're not embarrassing your children by a certain age, you're probably not doing something right. By the time they're young teens they're supposed to be embarrassed by you. I say have fun with it! As for my significant other, well, she's as weird as I am, so we're a perfect match.
Hear hear! Haha.

Thing is, everyone has their hobbies. I have an advantage in that my long-time girlfriend is into renaissance faires, conventions, etc. However, even she thinks some of this stuff is a little excessive. Still, it's something we love to do, and in my opinion it shouldn't be any more embarrassing to you or any of your loved ones than Uncle Jerry's obsession with model trains. And the explanation is simple for those who may ask or not understand - we have a passion for history and fantasy, and we love outdoor activities. This just sort of combines the best aspects of those.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Welcome to the boards! Boone, huh? Never been to that part of the mountains. Would love to go some time.

As for families, I suppose I'm a little different than most folks, but my family joins right in. We haven't been able to do much rangering over the last couple of years. Heck! I'm a mod here and haven't even been able to stay active for some time! But the family is as wierd as me. They enjoy getting into the woods . Something we haven't done on a regular basis for some time.

So, pull up a chair. Grab a drink of your choice and make yourself at home.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Broken into small pieces, this isn't a weird hobby. Primitive living skills and just wondering how people lived in the past is history, living history yes, but just history. Backpacking, archery and camping in general is are acceptted as "normal" pasttimes. Blacksmithing, costuming can all fall under the living history catagory. All of these can be talked about openly without fear of recriminations or could be held against your wife in the acedemic world. Very few people, even here, get involved in every aspect discussed on this forum.

It's only when you take all the small facets and put them together that it becomes "out of the norm", so don't sweat it and just touch on the individual aspects in normal conversation.

Welcome !
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Mae Govannen!

I'll also bring my dish to the table and explain my thoughts on your question as best I can. As a teenager of 16, I can tell you with all honesty that if my dad were openly into LARP or cosplay, I would be embarrassed. Very. I agree with all these guys, but keep in mind that yes, it can be an issue (probably only as far as you make it).

That said, I am into this sort of thing (reenactment, not the sort of fantasy cosplay stuff :twisted: ) out of interest. I have always loved making things, outdoor activities, history, Tolkien, and bushcraft. For me, ranger reenactment combines all of these so fabulously. These, at least to myself, seem to be very interesting and justified activities/pass-times - regardless of being mainstream or not.
There is also something else, something that most people will not understand until they have experienced it for themselves. Personally, there is something about snuggling into a bivvi, fire dying down, breathing the cool night air, and listening to the woods. I find pleasure in living simply, your preoccupations being the stuff that matters: a hot meal, staying warm & dry, finding water, etc. rather than the often meaningless preoccupations that modern life makes us worry about: exams, unfounded social worries, and all this materialism stuff.
Further, there is that sense of responding to a challenge - yes, it is difficult (especially if you take it seriously). When you're cold and wet, boots heavy with mud, your last meal being 12 hours ago, it is difficult. But that is where the joy is. As Mallory said, there is something built into the core of a man that responds to a challenge.
Also, there is that aspect of being close to nature (and if you have a faith, this is easily taken further to being spiritual and bringing one closer to God) that is attractive and very peaceful, calming.
I am not into it for the 'pretend' aspect, nor the 'prepare for the worst' mentality. While I do see the value of having these historical living skills as an advantage should such a situation arise, I simply don't see the Zombie Apocalypse coming too soon.
There is also historical value in this. Middle Earth is very similar to areas and time periods of our own world's history. Historical living provides valuable insight into how things were, and helps fill in gaps where conventional research fails.
Blacksmithing, leatherworking, etc. are all respectable activities in themselves alone. Making things I find is very therapeutic - and useful. Some people here have taken that further to provide themselves with, or at least supplement, an income.

So, there are a few reasons from me as to why do this activity. I wholly encourage you to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, at least look into this some more, and maybe realise if it is for you. You can interpret this activity in a variety of ways. Depending on which, there is no reason for it to be seen as 'weird'.

Hope this helps (:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.