Quiver progect

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arathen123
Wayfarer

Quiver progect

Post by Arathen123 »

hey all. I am going to be starting a quiver protect soon. So i was wondering if all you rangers could post some pictures of yours. primarily when the are in use and the strap systems.also if any one has any tips or ideas please share them. pictures of my protect will be coming soon still at the designing stage. cheers!!
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Re: Quiver progect

Post by Arathen123 »

Also i was wondering if any one kows any "primitive" ways of dyeing leather?/
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Quivers are always fun! :mrgreen:

I posted a good number of pictures of my quiver about a year ago. Here is a link to the post: http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... 285#p19285
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Post by Arathen123 »

cheers.;) looks nice. where did.you get that cloak from???
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I made it out of a wool blanket from an army surplus store.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I posted a thread about my own quiver project a while back too. There are picture links in the thread, but mostly "in-progress" pics. I chose a very simple style of carriage, which now I realize I could have vastly improved by just a couple small modifications, but ya' live ya' learn.

Here's the thread:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =28&t=1631
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Post by Arathen123 »

cheers every one. here is the design i am using in its.most basic.for there is going to be puoches and stuf. any one else have morw pixs for inspiration?
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Arathen123 thank you for starting this thread. I have been looking to making my own quiver for a short time and with luck found my way here. I was wondering if any one knows of a good pattern or dimensions for a back quiver.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

A quiver is one of my projects in line. I'm going to follow this thread closely.

To those who have already made one and write that you now wish you had done certain 'modifications,' please, let us benefit from your wisdom- how so?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Quiver projects are fun. I made mine about 2 years ago. Some things I would do differently i made the quiver to long and its too big. A dozen arrows hardly fill it up. I just used cheap letter and then used leather boot laces for the stitching. I then wet leather and put a book on it to make it an oval shape so that it would sit on my back better.

Here is a close up picture:
IMG_2925.JPG
IMG_2925.JPG (64.05 KiB) Viewed 16858 times
Here are some pictures of me wearing it. Sorry I'm not in full garb I was waiting to go on a date
IMG_2930.JPG
IMG_2930.JPG (44.75 KiB) Viewed 16858 times
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 16858 times
If you would like anymore information, measurements, or things I would do different let me know.

Good Luck on your project.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I made myself a back quiver a while back that I am still very pleased with, and I am also planning a new one for my upcoming Bard the Bowman costume. However, I don't know that I could really present a plan or pattern for you, per-se. I just sort of did it by trial and error. My suggestion is to look at a bunch of pictures of back quivers that you like the look of, and then get some cheap poster-board to make a few mock-ups. When you arrive at a satisfactory pattern with your mock-up, you can start to build the real thing. Remember the old adage, "measure twice; cut once."

Google is also your friend. Whether you're looking for construction methods, or just cool pictures to give you inspiration, it will provide. Also, if you google "back quiver pattern," you'll find a lot of info is already out there for you.

Good luck!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

An inexpensive quiver can be made from a simple 2.5 to 3" diameter peice of pvc about 15" long.
You can cap the bottom with a PVC end cap or put a piece of circular wood inside the bottom and tack it in with some apolstry tacks. Finishing the exterior can range from painting it, to covering it with faux leather or even leather or suede.
I did this with the kids a while back and told them to come up with something creative and they used spray glue and all kinds of natural stuff like bark, leaves, moss and fur, it was a panic and each was very unique.

There is a great quiver pattern that was the inspiration for this from the same gentleman that had the wonderful scabard tutorial we had up on the forum. I will post it as soon as I find it. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK here it is!
I had a hard time finding the pics that I had captured, even though I was just looking at them! But the "Ye Old Gaffer" site has some really great projects and I particularly like the results of this back quiver.
It is simple but very stury and functional! :mrgreen:

http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_quiver.asp
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Here is my most recent attemp at the same hunting type quiver that I had made back in the spring for a prize at the Ranger Moot. I made it to match the recently posted Ranger pouch, so it has some of the same decorative cues as well as the wolf medalions.
I still need to make a real strap for it and the leather inner cylinder that I am going to use like a revolving door having an opening to match the arrow port on the side of the outer quiver that can be rotated around when the quiver is not in use or for the hip or back slung modes of carry.

Anyway these are a few quick pics of it as it stands now. :mrgreen:

As you look through the pictures you will see the quiver in the orientation for hip, back and hunting carrying positions.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:OK here it is!
I had a hard time finding the pics that I had captured, even though I was just looking at them! But the "Ye Old Gaffer" site has some really great projects and I particularly like the results of this back quiver.
It is simple but very stury and functional! :mrgreen:

http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_quiver.asp
Thanks for the link. A nice simple design that even someone like me who is all thumbs can likely pull off. I started cutting the leather this afternoon.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál