New knife

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

New knife

Post by Shadowhawk »

Okay so I recently bought a marttiini ranger, however it did not have a very middle-earth appropriate sheath. Thus I made a new one. The knife itself is a "new generation leuku" and unfortunately stainless steel, though very durable. I burned a dunedain star and the big dipper with the north star on the sheath.
Attachments
ranger knife 2.jpg
ranger knife 2.jpg (135.08 KiB) Viewed 10269 times
Ranger knife.jpg
Ranger knife.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 10269 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: New knife

Post by Peter Remling »

Good functional looking knife. Nice job on the sheath !
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Good stuff! Is the sheath at all shaped (I mean like boiling the leather then stretching it around a mould)?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Nicely done friend! Keep up the great work! :mrgreen: ~Ringulf
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

Dirhael wrote:Good stuff! Is the sheath at all shaped (I mean like boiling the leather then stretching it around a mould)?
It has a wooden insert the size and shape of the blade at the bottom of the sheath. After making that I just soaked the leather with hot water, cut it, made some holes and sewed it to its shape. After it was sewn shut I put the knife in and let the sheath dry around it.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

I have made some sheaths with the water forming method before, but since the leather holds moisture right against the steel it made the blade rust (not much of a problem with a stainless blade of course). Treating the sheath with oil did the trick, but recently I have treated most of my leather items of the type with beeswax so that they are are a plastic materiel.

The single layer of wood is one construction method I have been looking at for the sheath for my dagger. How does the whole wood on one side and flexible on the other side thing seem to work out? What are you using for the suspension system and on which side?
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

Umm...not sure I understood the question, the wood is inside the sheath. Look up "scandi style sheath" mine is like that. I've attached a picture of a insert of this style before the sides are glued together. Also a picture of the back of the sheath. as you can see its hang on the belt with a leather string that is attached by two holes at the back of the sheath. My sheath also hangs the opposite direction than a traditional scandi sheath so the blade is facing forward when its worn on the right side. Also I think I'll put in an extra layer of dye to darken it somewhat and even it out a bit
Attachments
ranger sheath back.jpg
ranger sheath back.jpg (141.1 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
lesta1pieni.jpg
lesta1pieni.jpg (110.45 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Oh, I misunderstood the explanation of the construction. I thought you meant there was only one insert that the knife is held against with leather on its opposite face.