what would work for a saxe?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

boyofthebush209
Wayfarer

what would work for a saxe?

Post by boyofthebush209 »

I am thinking that this might possibly be a great substitute for a Saxe.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2611777736 ... s&var=sbar
please tell me what y'all think!!!
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: what would work for a saxe?

Post by deadextra »

There are lots of things people call saxes that are used for lots of different tasks, but the big ones comparable to a machete seem to be principally weapons so I'm guessing that's your purpose. On a historical basis, the usage of scales to construct the handle comes around in the 14th century, well after my own idea of period for the third age. Practically, machetes clearly serve fine as weapons. The thing that I pick up on this one however, is that it has a large non-functional ricosso which is in an area of the blade that could otherwise be kept finely honed for tasks that require a better edge. A big curved machete with a swell at the end is also harder to cover, but can be done and falchions have the same sort of shape. Within portrayal is personal preference. It's an item that is publicly known, so you might have civilians asking why you have a machete instead of a sword or what have you.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A good many of us have converted Cold Steel sax machetes. A quick search will get you several threads on the subject. Just about all have pics, some with how tos.

BTW Welcome to the Forum and if you feel inclined you might want to write and introduction thread.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My question would be: Why not a seax?
Why replace it with something unless it is better or more obtainable for you.

As Pete said, many of us have converted CS seaxes.
You can also make them from many other machete types.

The thing is, the reason for having one historically was that it was cheap and simple to make if you could not afford better.

In Fiction such as The Rangers Apprentice series, the Araluen Ranger corps seax was well built of good steel and was a bit more refined than the SKandian seax it was corps standard issue so all the rangers got one. In the searies special tactics and reasoning was employed to make it the weapon of choice for a Ranger. But in History and I am going to make an assumption here but also in Middle Earth, since we are really not told, A Ranger would use anything that he could to do the job. a seax was crude but effective and easy to make and replace. it had no real identity (always good for covert ops) but if he had an elven hunting knife....Ding thers your knife! No brand loyalty there.

So I guess my question to you would be why do you want or not want a seax itself?
If you want it to have the look and feel of what you think a "Ranger" would carry, we can set you up with one or the know how to make one yourself.

Otherwise, for the money, you could just purchase a good hunting knife or bowie type with better steel and quite possibly a better more effective all around shape.

Personally I love the seax and have made quite a few for fighting, throwing and general purpose. But the choice is yours to make my friend and we are behind you to help! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I guess the questions I would ask are:

What are you trying for and why? To me, that sword doesn't have a very Northern feel. What's the back story?

Also, what's your desired level of authenticity? This seriously affects what you should be looking at. If you are trying very hard to make your kit match something that would have been used had LOTR been real history, then DeadExtra's comments are very valuable here. If you just want to have fun then Ringulf and Peter's comments make more sense.

Why do you need an alternative to a seax? I think the safest thing to do for complete fidelity to Tolkien would be a arming sword. The use of the seax is not from Tolkien, but hypothesized from the general Saxon bent of much of Tolkien's writing, practical considerations (for shorter swords in woodland settings), and finally because seaxes are cool right now.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

It all really depends on what you're using this blade for.

Are you using it to clear brush, cut kindling, and split logs? Then yes, it's a good seax substitute.
Are you using it to be cool looking in the woods? Well, that's a matter of opinion. :wink:

Condor Tool and Knife Company has a pretty good reputation, so I don't think blade quality is an issue...

Fill us in on why you were thinking of this as a seax replacement and then it will be easier for people to give you reasons for or against.

Also, I've scrolled through old threads. I believe Craig uses a kukri, so funky shapes are well and good, ja?
boyofthebush209
Wayfarer

Ringulf wrote:My question would be: Why not a seax?
Why replace it with something unless it is better or more obtainable for you.

As Pete said, many of us have converted CS seaxes.
You can also make them from many other machete types.

The thing is, the reason for having one historically was that it was cheap and simple to make if you could not afford better.

In Fiction such as The Rangers Apprentice series, the Araluen Ranger corps seax was well built of good steel and was a bit more refined than the SKandian seax it was corps standard issue so all the rangers got one. In the searies special tactics and reasoning was employed to make it the weapon of choice for a Ranger. But in History and I am going to make an assumption here but also in Middle Earth, since we are really not told, A Ranger would use anything that he could to do the job. a seax was crude but effective and easy to make and replace. it had no real identity (always good for covert ops) but if he had an elven hunting knife....Ding thers your knife! No brand loyalty there.

So I guess my question to you would be why do you want or not want a seax itself?
If you want it to have the look and feel of what you think a "Ranger" would carry, we can set you up with one or the know how to make one yourself.

Otherwise, for the money, you could just purchase a good hunting knife or bowie type with better steel and quite possibly a better more effective all around shape.

Personally I love the seax and have made quite a few for fighting, throwing and general purpose. But the choice is yours to make my friend and we are behind you to help! :mrgreen:

thank you sir!!! I just haven't found a seax. so I was thinking that this was a good substitute for one :/
if you could help me find one I would much appreciate it !!!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Here are some that can be easily converted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel-Sax- ... 563ee43f93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLD-STEEL-BOWI ... 2a2bac0149

This next one is a repro of an 1917 Bolo Knife. It's a great all purpose design, that with some modifications would make a fine Ranger weapon/tool. A little on the pricey side for something you'll want to convert but I've always been partial to the design.

Condor Knife Company makes several good machetes that could be converted too.

I'll post more when I get the time to look.

Hope this helps.
boyofthebush209
Wayfarer

thank you all for your advice!
I am thinking about which I want to do I Love the ranger apprentices books and Tolkien's LOTR!
so I have been thinking about a short sword but I also like the way the Saxe knife sounds like in the ranger apprentices books. I would like to know what you all think of it.