Axe for firewood

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Axe for firewood

Post by Shadowhawk »

Found an old rusty billnäs axe head that I started to make into a viking axe when I was about 15 that I didn't quite finish at the time. So I decided that it would make a nice woodcutting axe for a more permanent camp. Removed most of the rust from the head and then re-sharpened it, and it already had a bit of a "viking" like curve from when I last tinkered with it. Made a handle from a block of birch.
Sanded it to be comfortable in the hand and finished with a few layers of linseed oil. And here's the result. Might see about removing the rest of rust with sandpaper eventually though it looks more rusty than it actually is in the pics
Attachments
Camp axe 2.jpg
Camp axe 2.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
camp axe.jpg
camp axe.jpg (93.67 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Axe for firewood

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice! looks very rustic and authentic that way but oiling it and getting it dark would not hurt and may protect it from further rusting. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Re: Axe for firewood

Post by Shadowhawk »

Thanks for the advice, I may try that.