Questions about materials...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Questions about materials...

Post by Jon »

I know a thing or two about leather, but when it comes to linen or canvas I am completely lost. Help me out!
I just had a few questions regarding material:

- making an arrow bag; what is the best way to waterproof the material? (I can't tell what sort it is exactly, sort of like canvas but softer, and thicker...). What is the best traditional way of doing this? I have a bunch of old candle wax and a smallish block of beeswax for my bow.

- I'm also in need of a pattern for a game bag[/i if that is indeed what you call it. My googling skills aren't amazing, but I searched for quite a while and couldn't find much in the way of what I want. All I found were things that look too much like haversacks.

- finally I have a bunch of canvas left over from facing a shield. It's completely white, and very visible. What is the best way of dying canvas? I'd prefer to do this traditionally if possible, not with artificial dye. And - can I waterproof it after it is dyed?

Thankyou!!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Questions about materials...

Post by deadextra »

Natural methods of waterproofing fabric are going to work best on natural fabrics. One way to determine this is by burning a small piece. Here is a chart of the attributes of various fabric when burned http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html My favorite method of waterproofing fabric is to use many coats of linseed oil and allowing about a day to dry between them. This will give the surface of the fabric a sort of rubbery feel that will eventually stiffen up. One thing about linseed oil is that most that you find in hardware stores is somewhat toxic, but if you can find some that is natural or otherwise labeled for consumption it should be harmless. Using wax to waterproof fabric is a somewhat short term solution, especially on parts that will be manipulated a lot. There are articles floating around that will tell you more.

I'm not really sure what you mean by a game bag, but a rectangular drawstring bag, a satchel design, or a shoulder-sack. None of those really require a pattern, just some figuring of dimensions you want and sewing it together. Here is a website listing extant historical items and artwork portraying items, there are many bags listed. http://larsdatter.com/sitemap.htm

Dying canvas can be done just like any other fabric with a multitude of natural materials and varying complexity. The fabric will be perfectly suitable for waterproofing after dying, it just needs to be thoroughly cleaned before the waterproofing. Here is a website with some information about natural dying. http://www.pioneerthinking.com/crafts/c ... ldyes.html
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Most historical game bags ARE going to look like haversacks. If you want something that looks a bit more hunt-specific, you might try looking up historical Falconry Bags. Unfortunately, if you don't want something that looks like a haversack, that still won't help you a great deal.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Those are some awesome links Deadextra, thanks!

I was doing some research and looking at some of those patterns and it does seem that my conception of a haversack was wrong. I'm guessing if there were leather ones they were quite light leather? I have some spare 4oz or so, which I may use instead of canvas.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

The thing about using leather for bags is that it is heavy and stretches over time. This has to do with what leather is, skin. To preform the task it is grown for, it has to be stretchy and thick. Linen on the other hand is made from the stalk of the flax plant. It is grown for strength and rigidity as well as some flexibility. When woven into fabric, the fibers retain these properties. That is why I think that linen and other fabrics made from plant stalks are the best for bags and other hard use tasks that don't need stretch.