Not a ranger camp but all natural kit used--pic heavy

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Not a ranger camp but all natural kit used--pic heavy

Post by man_of_tanith »

First up i am still developing an emberverse ranger kit so not yet using it for camping
However i have got a large collection of natural materials such as wool blankets and cotton tarp which i used last weekend, i took my brother in law who is in no ways into rangering and only just getting into what he calls rough camping and i call camping.
here is the write up, next time i will try to write it up in more appropriate language and writing style.

Friday evening saw me and my brother in law have a cheeky over nighter up my permission.
We drove up to give us more time there so i decided to use traditional materials. taking with me the Swedish rescue bag i recently got in a trade, wool blankets and a ginourmous tarp made for me
the kit pile as you can see the rescue bag is a monster its bigger than my pack!

this is the reflector i built last time i was up the woods in march hard to believe it was snow covered and freezing not 6 weeks ago
this is a picture of my campsite last time i came up when i built the reflector it was definately needed!
my fellow camper pete
one mahoosive tarp set up
then it was time to disassemble the reflector and clear the area of stinging nettles
Pete processed some fire wood
whilst i got the fire going and the kettle on
a view of the woods, lots of greenery and life bursting upwards
i did some fire wood processing
after a while of staring at the fire drinking tea and generally enjoying being in the woods it was grub time, so we rearranged the fire
but before we could start cooking my in laws dropped my folks dog who had been staying with the in laws off
i gathered some jack by the hedge to add to the evening meal (other wise known as garlic mustard)
we put the minted lamb kebabs on to cook
Chef pete did some interesting stuff with salami which susie the pooch found fascinating
fried the salami and added the jack by the hedge
check the kebabs looking good so far
and pete added rice to the salami and jack by the hedge
our evening meal, minted lamb kebabs with rissotto rice with salami and jack by the hedge
and very tasty it was too, Even susie thought so
time to settle down with the bushcraft tv
i admit we need to work on our admin but its a happy campsite
The pooch seemed to enjoy the poncho i had packed for myself
after some bushcraft tv we bedded down for the night.
around 02:00 susie started growling and pete heard cars near where we had parked so he trundled off to investigate and scared the bejeesus out of a woman police officer who was on the search for a missing person and had convinced herself there was a body in the ditch next to the car, luckily there wasn't and the dog acted as a very good warning system or we wouldn't of known anything about it.
i woke up around 7am with the dog bundled up in the rescue bag with me happy as a happy thing
susie had an investigation of the fire
Pete was still entombed in his bivi bag
So i decided to have a bit more of a snooze waking at 9am
got the kettle going once more
pete cleared away his kit
i did some of a net needle for future projects
we cooked ourselves some breakfast-sausages!
served in a tortilla wrap
Susie enjoyed hers although she went without the tortilla

After breakfast we broke camp, extinguised the fire and headed home,
i was greeted by a nice big hug and the statement ooh you smell nice-cant complain when i reeked of woodsmoke and campfire now can i.

hope you have enjoyed the pics,
next time i get out i will try to do so with more appropriate kit and a write up more in keeping with this forum
M o T
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Not a ranger camp but all natural kit used--pic heavy

Post by Willrett »

great pics thanks for posting them
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Andy*
Wayfarer

Post by Andy* »

Looks like y'all had fun.....any time spent in the woodline is time well spent. Thanks for sharing.
Andy
Follow me I am the Infantry.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

In these times, a person is lucky to have that much time in the woods, regardless of kit. Bravo for getting it done. Looking forward to more!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Hey MoT,

I'm Interested in your Emberverse Ranger kit, what year are you going for?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Wilrett, Andy and Greg
thank you for the kind words
Caedmon, im undecided at the moment, one of the perks of the emberverse rangers is i feel i can use my current kit and slowly adjust it which is what i feel the rangers would do in that series, as things run out/natural materials replace them so would the kit evolve
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.