New Hunting quiver

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

New Hunting quiver

Post by Ringulf »

I made a new Hunting quiver for the Ranger gathering as a prize.

I wanted to make something more eloborate and period but was unfortunately interupted by a short stay in the hospital so when I got back to work I had very little time or energy for the project.

I chose a hunting style that I wanted to make anyway and since it used only 1 peice of leather and a few bits of hardware I did not have to spend great deals of time on construction and was able to focus more time on tooling and dying to make it conform to the themes of the other prizes.

I love the fact that when the quiver hangs just as you see it slung under the right arm just above the hip, it is a very smooth and stealthy draw to remove the arrow close to the head, pull it back and up to free the head, lift it up and over the bow, which is held low and horizontally, to knock the arrow and quietly slide your hand back to the string ready to draw.

After practicing with it for a bit I can see how this might be adventageous for hunting and target archery.

These pics show the quiver with a set of brass swivel clips that are integral to the quiver and the strap that is temorarily fastened to it from my dufflel. (which I will repace with a more period strap)

I would also like to put together an oilcloth inner bag to hold the arrows that would have a laces flap to remove them for hunting.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: New Hunting quiver

Post by Ernildir »

Very pretty! I love the leaves. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

I am inspired. Added to the project list.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Impressive. It's great both as a functional quiver and as a piece of art.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Very sleek and neat. The leaves are a work of art!

How did you colour the leather so (assuming it is all one piece)? And are the leaves embossed?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Dirhael,

The quiver is one piece of leather, I colored it with Fiebings Green and the leaves are done in Eco-Flow acorn brown thined with water. The leaves are tooled and textured before painting with a brush with the leather dye, and then I use a scruffy pad with a bit of water to even the entire piece. I use a bit of clear shoe polish to seal it and shine it.

Hope that helps,

Easy, easy construction gives you time to play with decoration! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Glad your out of the hospital....your quiver looks fantastic.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.