Ranger Duster?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eärendur
Dúnadan

Ranger Duster?

Post by Eärendur »

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while, so I thought I would ask you guys.

In FOTR, Strider wears a long leather coat sometimes referred to as a "duster" (shows up throughout, but maybe more prominent in FOTR).

Reference pics here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Duster.htm

My question is, what is the historical/utilitarian background for such an article of clothing?

Personally, I think it looks really cool, and I have been intending to make one once I have the extra cash, but beyond making a cool movie replica, what is the basis for this in rangering?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Ranger Duster?

Post by Straelbora »

Eärendur wrote:So this is something I've been thinking about for a while, so I thought I would ask you guys.

In FOTR, Strider wears a long leather coat sometimes referred to as a "duster" (shows up throughout, but maybe more prominent in FOTR).

Reference pics here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Duster.htm

My question is, what is the historical/utilitarian background for such an article of clothing?

Personally, I think it looks really cool, and I have been intending to make one once I have the extra cash, but beyond making a cool movie replica, what is the basis for this in rangering?
I associate dusters with American cowboys, circa 1875-1900. They probably predate that era, but I really don't think of them as medieval in any way.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

When you say the word "Duster", I think Austrailian or cowboy/Civil war, most readily, but to be honest, the duster pattern leans more to a long split coat for trail riding, and or an additional, but integral mantle-like cape around the shoulders.
To be fair, Ararorn's has niether really. I would say that his garb would be classified as a long coat, which, though not as popular in Hollywood medeival fashion, is very much period in many of the cultures and time frames used by Tolkien to establish the look and feel of his world.
So the "Duster", per se, may be a bit of a stretch, but capes, mantles, hoods and coats have always been combined to fit the needs of the individual and a good case could be made that what we see as a "Duster" could be an amalgam of these. :mrgreen:

Be creative Tolkien was and he is the only "Authentic" source on middle Earth! :wink:
Last edited by Ringulf on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, Ringulf basically nailed it. I do think there is a historical basis in the Viking era for long leather coats of a similar design though. At least I seem to remember seeing some reenactors wearing things of that nature.
Last edited by Manveruon on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

And a Scottish Drover's coat from the 17th-18th century (not far afeild of the time period used to set the Hobbit culture is very similar to this.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

It has long been my supposition that clothing and culture in the North fits best as a medievalized 18th century. Aragorn's coat fits this well, try thinking of it as a 13th c. tailor's interpretation of an early 1700's frock coat.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I think the duster was PJ and his crew being creative. Long coats have a long pedigree, true, and if that is what you want to do with your impression, have at it.

Nothing and no one here will give you any grief over it.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I agree with the above. I used the Born of Hope method, went out to a thrift store and bought an old long leather coat, took it apart and rebuilt it. I wear it for the Ren faire but it is comfy :) and now that we have the Hobbit movie you have even more options! Kili's coat looks like it would be fun to imitate.

Ken

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Great pics Ken, I am so happy to see your stuff up again!
I missed you Brother!
:mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ringulf wrote:Great pics Ken, I am so happy to see your stuff up again!
I missed you Brother!
:mrgreen:
Aw thanks friend Ringulf, I miss you too! :) I need to take more pics, and dig out the rest of my Bombadil stuff for Greg :) I always love seeing your projects!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The duster is Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor's version or image of Strider.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

I actually always thought Aragorn's ranger coat was more based upon the tailcoats of the Elizabethan era looking at the design. In fact, I can remember watching Frank Miller's The Crucible in high school after reading the book and being struck at how Daniel Day Lewis' John Proctor looked entirely too similar to Viggo Mortenson's Aragorn for it to be coincidence.
While the internet seems sorely lacking in good screenshots, I noticed especially in the climactic "God is Dead!" scene Proctor's coat almost seems the early prototype for Aragorn's duster.
Of course there is a very good chance Mr Lewis' duster was not historically accurate either...
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

For those of you with a little extra jingle, here is Potomac Leather's version, which Eric and I saw a couple years ago at the Loch Norman Highland Games. Very impressive in person, but expensive!
http://www.potomacleather.com/PL_Ranger.htm

Ken
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

While the term "duster" conjures up images of 19th century cowboys, long coats date back quite a while. The Rus (Vikings who settled in Kiev and Novgorod) had a couple of long coat designs, some of which fasten in the middle like modern coats. It would not be a stretch for you to have one as part of your kit if you want it. Like it was said, no one here is likely to give you any grief over it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

I've actually been tossing this idea around as well, and started doing some research, and came up with the same viking info. I have a ton of "scrap"
leather laying around and thought maybe something with a hood? What ya thing fellow rangers?
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND