Night out using my emberverse ranger kit

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Night out using my emberverse ranger kit

Post by man_of_tanith »

A Friend of mine came camping with me friday night,i decided it would be a good test of my emberverse inspired load out so decided to use that
Albus hasnt managed many camps recently but has accrued a fine kit set up partly from being influenced by my evil kit magpie ways :)
here Albus is setting up a waxed cotton cord to act as a ridgeline.
meanwhile i was setting up my polish lavvu half (apologies for the pic i took it on phone)
once it was up both of us looked at it and went "I/You aren't going to fit under that"
so lesson learnt polish lavvu half works if A you intend to float it a bit off of the ground B plan on having only head and kit covered by the lavvu or C you are a hobbit
quickly i took down the lavvu and replaced it with the other canvas tarp in my kit, rigging this up as a basic lean too as can be seen here
My bed for the night-Dutch army wool Blanket, lighter weight wool blanket and polish lavvu half acting as ground sheet
Albus prepping the veg for dinner
Chef Sam frying the chorizo, onions and pork
nom nom nom nom nom
in the mors pot is a chorizo and pork in dry cider stew with root vegetables
in the zebra is just some water for the necessary tea/coffee
The Finished Stew and it tasted even better than it looks
The rest of the evening was spent smoking pipes, shooting the breeze and enjoying catching up
whilst watching the fire
We turned in around half midnight
Initially i slept quite well on top of the dutch blanket which i had doubled up to act as padding and with the lighter blanket on top of me, i awoke around 03:00 as i had got a bit cold and crawled into the dutch blanket bundling myself up nice and snug
Waking around half seven we got the fire going again and started the breakfast of bacon tortilla wraps and tea
we spent a leisurely time as neither of us had to be back at a specific time,
whilst mooching around the outskirts of my permission i noticed this on the leaves of a tree,
after a while we packed up and headed back to mine.

refelctions on the emberverse kit-
i strayed and added the mors pot and the tatonka cook set, there was meant to be a third person coming and he was bringing his cast iron cookware however circumstances meant he couldnt make it so to cook the food i needed more stuff, i think i will add the mors pot to the usual load out, the ten cm zebra whilst enough to brew up doesnt really have enough space for decent sized meal cooking
i NEED some sort of padding from the floor, i should of made space somewhere to include at lest a CCF roll mat its tuesday now and i am still aching (sign i'm getting on a bit i know) i dont have much leaf litter at the permission nor do i have pine so those two traditional cushioning items are not available.
the small canvas tarps don't offer much in the way of living space it was raining when we first arrived and if Albus hadnt had his 3mx3m tarp we wouldnt of had much space to hide from the rain. i have a much bigger canvas tarp that i think i shall use in future
other than that quite happy with the kit load out,
Thanks for looking
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Night out using my emberverse ranger kit

Post by Straelbora »

Great stuff.

As to padding/warmth for sleeping, although they take up a bit of room, to me, there's nothing like a sheepskin to add a bit of both. I've noticed that if I have just the trunk of my body on a sheepskin, it keeps my core body temp going well (although I am a mutant- literally. My maternal DNA haplogroup is J1c; we're thought to be descendants of a woman who lived during the last Ice Age in the Franco-Cantabrian Refuge in the Pyrennes and who had some Ice Age friendly mutations, including leaky mitochondria. A survey of fellow J1c people on a listserve indicated that most of us don't ever really get cold feet or hands.)
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál