Custom Sword Build

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Custom Sword Build

Post by Manveruon »

Hey all! Some of you may remember me mentioning a while back that I was commissioning a custom sword, built on a re-ground Hanwei/Tinker Early Medieval Single Handed Sword blade, from Ernie over at Yeshua's Sword (http://www.yeshuas-sword.com/). Well this past week Ernie finally got back to me with some pictures of the beginnings of the project, and I am ridiculously excited! I figured I'd share the pics here with you guys. So far it looks like he has finished the re-grind on the blade, the basic milling on the pommel, and has also started work on the guard. Not sure if anything else has been done yet, but what I've seen so far looks great! I can't wait to see more! I'll keep you guys updated as the build progresses.

So here's the original drawing I sent to Ernie for inspiration:

And here are a couple of the progress on the pommel:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 0769_o.jpg

Here's one of the blade and the finished pommel, as well as a snippet of the drawing I sent:

And finally, the guard, just starting out:

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Custom Sword Build

Post by Ringulf »

Amazing! machinists blow my mind, such accuracy! :mrgreen:

(It is eldrich wizardry, Gnomish Gnostisism! bother and confusticate those Gnomes and their secret machines!)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm with you - I haven't a clue how they do it, and frankly it kind of scares me, haha.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The design is stunning. The pommel looks thick in the picture, what are the actual dimensions and weight if you have it ?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's going to look fantastic. Someday, when I make it out to Co., you're going to have to let me handle that thing for a minute...looks quick, and I love the Hanwei/Tinker blades.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks guys!
Peter - I agree, the pommel does look a touch thick, and I'm not precisely sure what the weight and dimensions of it are just yet, but I'm trusting Ernie to ensure that it counterbalances the blade properly.
And Greg, if ever we do finally cross paths, you ware certainly welcome!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

MORE PICTURES! HUZZAH!

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

If it's not impolite to ask, what's this going to run you?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I don't recall the exact amount, but I could probably look it up in our emails. It started out being a little over $500, but now I'm having him do the leather grip for me (I had originally planned to do it myself, but I trust his skill in this area a bit more than my own), so that bumped it up a bit, as did the re-grind on the blade, and the decorative metal rings on the guard that I requested. So at this point it's probably more like somewhere between $600 and $700.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That is looking real nice and the grind angle on the pommel reduces the thickness a great deal. It no longer looks thick.

You are going to have a real beauty when shes done.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Beautiful sword! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Curiously, I am working on something rather similar, though more grounded in historical swords from the Middle Ages. I have an old Del Tin blade with a simple diamond cross section and crossguard, and am planning an octogonal pommel vaguely similar to yours, though on mine I intend the center to be more pronounced, with a circular hollow milled in to allow a period silver coin to be inset, as was done on a few Mediaeval examples. Tentatively, the grip will be wire wrapped, though I may change my mind on that detail. This is inspired by a sword that used to be in the old Museum Replica catalogs made by an Austrian swordsmith, Johann Schmidberger.

I had decided to approach Yeshua Sword to make the pommel (as soon as I come up with a blueprint for them). Your sword only reinforces this choice. Thanks for posting the progress pix!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Aw, damn, because that style of pommel is EXACTLY hat I wanted, but I figured he'd charge more for the higher level of detail. I love octagonal pommels in general, but a more complex one like what you described would be absolutely amazing.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elemmakil wrote:Beautiful sword! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Curiously, I am working on something rather similar, though more grounded in historical swords from the Middle Ages. I have an old Del Tin blade with a simple diamond cross section and crossguard, and am planning an octogonal pommel vaguely similar to yours, though on mine I intend the center to be more pronounced, with a circular hollow milled in to allow a period silver coin to be inset, as was done on a few Mediaeval examples. Tentatively, the grip will be wire wrapped, though I may change my mind on that detail. This is inspired by a sword that used to be in the old Museum Replica catalogs made by an Austrian swordsmith, Johann Schmidberger.

I had decided to approach Yeshua Sword to make the pommel (as soon as I come up with a blueprint for them). Your sword only reinforces this choice. Thanks for posting the progress pix!
That's a really old MRl catalog if it's a Schmidberger circa 89-91. Wire is a little tough on the hands so if you decide on wire, invest in some decent leather gloves.

Ernie is great to deal with. I just had this done about a month ago.

old Albion Crecy Grete Swerde:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... a3280e.jpg

To new guard and grip:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 7e073f.jpg - this photo is a little blurry.

Delivered on time with no issues.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Peter Remling wrote:

That's a really old MRl catalog if it's a Schmidberger circa 89-91. Wire is a little tough on the hands so if you decide on wire, invest in some decent leather gloves.

To new guard and grip:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 7e073f.jpg - this photo is a little blurry.

Nice!

Yes, I started receiving the MRL catalogues back in 1987 or so (No. 4 was my first) and have managed to acquire all but No. 36 - I even managed to get No. 1 from an individual a while back. Very excellent reference resource, as it helps me ID obscure stuff that shows up once in a while on eBay.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elemmakil wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:

I started with number 1. A fellow forumite on SFI was looking for some of the older catalogs so I send him all the old ones I could find about 10 years ago.

To new guard and grip:

Nice!

Yes, I started receiving the MRL catalogues back in 1987 or so (No. 4 was my first) and have managed to acquire all but No. 36 - I even managed to get No. 1 from an individual a while back. Very excellent reference resource, as it helps me ID obscure stuff that shows up once in a while on eBay.