Armor options.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett

Armor options.

Post by Willrett »

I know we have talk about this before but I wanted to know everyone thought of this set. It may be overkill for everyday wear but could be used at times.

http://elads.biz/leatherarmorsets.html Look at the Drow Ranger

http://elads.biz/drizzfull.jpg All the pics together.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That is a pretty hefty price tag. For a lot less you could get yourself riveted mail, leather armguard, legging and a helm with coif.

If you have $1500 to spend on gear, might I reccomend something you could use everyday. First boots or mocs that fit and are durable, 2nd a decent blade, third clothing. Good boots or mocs will set you back between $300- 600 , a decent sword from $250 - $800 plus scabbard and belt/baldric rig. Decent clothing $40 for a shirt, $80 for a cloak and another $40 or so for pants. If you're set on leather armor think about a basic chest, arm and leg, something you can wera over your shirt and pants yet still wearable under a warm coat or cloak.

Other aspects of gear are easily and cheaply made or bought, the above ones are the biggy and even most of these the average person can make. The major exceptions are footwear, armor and a decent sword/bow.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Interesting looking armor. Overkill as you say for everyday use, I myself would go with chain-maille and vambrace/pauldron combo. Tolkien mentioned in several places in his backround notes and Letters that the primary armour worn in Middle-earth was maille. Plate might have been worn by the Knights of Dol Amroth, but a Ranger would need to stay light. The Drow armour would be hard to cache unless you were operating from a Ranger station.

Just my humble opinion

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That's...that's really expensive. I mean...wow. As Peter indicated, you could buy a hauberk of riveted maile for a lot less than that. Or even scale armor.

I think it's a bit over the top myself but its a subjective thing really. I agree with Faolan that maile seems to be the armor standard on the whole and Rangers do need to keep it light. So even a padded gambeson or studded leather jack would be reasonable..and much cheaper.

Save some of the funds for a good sword, solid boots and so on. Or something else entirely.

I don't mean to be discouraging but I think you can find better.

Siani
Nandalad!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

It all depends on what your going for. All of this stuff is so subjective. For myself I'd go no farther then maybe a ring jack or coat of plates. Even that may be a little too much for rangering. As Pete already said you'd be better served by investing that money is a good functional weapon and usable wool clothing and boots. If you feel you need this though don't let our opinions stop you.
Winter is coming
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

A coat of rings would be cool, and fun to make. I have an ongoing coat of plates project that I have to get back to sometime, but I do agree with the rest of you. Most armor is just impractical when Rangering, that is, roaming the land and patrolling. I think that if a ranger or troop knew they were going into a dangerous situation, like attacking an Orc encampment or something, then they would have broken out the maille and helmets, etc, but for the most part they would have stayed as light as possible, Case in point, when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell (book) Aragorn isn't wearing armor, and does not gain any until Helm's Deep. If he wanted any armor, I am sure the Elves would have supplied him with a good maille shirt,at the very least. I have shirt of maille that I made out of aluminum rings, spun, cut and linked myself over two years, and I wouldn't want to wear that thing all day, must less a shirt of steel. But, to each his own, and if anyone does wear armor in the woods for a day or two, take some pics and let us know how it went.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I have to admit. That suit is freaking awesome.

That being said, it's overkill save for a planned full combat situation.

And at that point, I'd say it's not my style.

It's perfect for a drow ranger, but not for Middle Earth. If you want to dress like a drow, go for it. If you want to be a RANGER, don't. I'd be a happy camper if I had that full suit...but I'd rarely wear it all. I'd probably use the shoulders sparingly, and only wear the full suit on Halloween or if I wanted to play a drow NPC at a LARP. It'd be awesome, but not for a ranger.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I completely agree with what everyone said. I love the set but I know its not a good every day armor. It is way way down on the wish list. My current list goes boots, cloths, sword, bow set. The only armor I plan on actually wearing are bracers.

This is one of those just wanna have items if for no other reason then I am a HUGE fan of the books.

I thought this would be another good topic of suggestions and ideas that get us all talking and comparing.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I personally would love to have a riveted maille hauberk. But at the moment it is- like a lot of things- out of the question. Even if finances were flowing well, armour would be fairly low on the list of priorities.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Even if finances were flowing well, armour would be fairly low on the list of priorities.
That's why I consider myself lucky to have gotten into this when I did. Still living with my folks with school paid for, I can afford to put a larger percentage of my income into hobbies, so I can get some of the pricier things out of the way before the burdens of real life hang on my shoulders.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I've been a scadian for more than 30 years so I have a lot of armor accumulated. I have plenty of links punched and ready, just have to do the weaving and riveting, something that doesn't take me terribly long. Even so it isn't a major priority.

Siani
Nandalad!
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

What, you mean this isn't real life? O_o
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Faolan wrote:What, you mean this isn't real life? O_o
Pardon my improper use of ye olde lexicon. My other, societal, technologically-hindered life.
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Its an interesting kit,,little overkill(me thinks)...Once again, I think you have to ask yourself "whats the mission". After that :everyone: and I mean everyone has a base of some kind somewhere. The primary mission/goal of a ranger is information gathering, scouting, accurate reporting then defense of not only her/his self, their terrortory then as an adjunct to offensive operations....think Indian Scouts,Rogers, The Swamp Fox, Mosby,then you can move on to units/groups such as Merrill's Maraduers or the desert units of the SAS in WW2.
Put your kit on, jump up and down and have another person listen, that telltale jinglejangle gets rangers killed! Like chainmail...and enameled cups and loose arrows.
Leather, canvas, wool...I believe that movement, the ability to blend in and profiency with my weapons, will keep me and my sister and brother rangers alive!
watchinglisteningdefending