Swords and Daggers

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Swords and Daggers

Post by RikJohnson »

mcapanelli wrote:DO NOT get the cold steel poly swords. They are terrible and don't hold up under ernest training and can break in a dangerous way. They're also not even close to the balance of a real sword. If you want a waster to bang around go to woodenswords.com and get either a wooden waster or the Penti III+.
My experience is the exact opposite.
Of course the weight and balance will never match a real steel blade, but then, neither will a wooden sword.
But no matter what I've done to it, training at the LV Combat-Con, demo training for events, or just playing around, the thing has held up and held up wonderfully.

I have the Longsword, 2 broadswords and the gladius that I modified from leaf to a straight blade plus the dagger and have never had any issues with any of them.
I just wish that CS made a cutlass design. I asked them for one and they said that they'd need to have more people ask before they had them made.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You should talk to Manveruan's group of pirate folk and my friends in the Laviathin group down here, they might think it a cool campaign to get a petition up to show support for the idea and then pitch it to the folks at CS! :mrgreen:

just a thought
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

RikJohnson wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:DO NOT get the cold steel poly swords. They are terrible and don't hold up under ernest training and can break in a dangerous way. They're also not even close to the balance of a real sword. If you want a waster to bang around go to woodenswords.com and get either a wooden waster or the Penti III+.
My experience is the exact opposite.
Of course the weight and balance will never match a real steel blade, but then, neither will a wooden sword.
But no matter what I've done to it, training at the LV Combat-Con, demo training for events, or just playing around, the thing has held up and held up wonderfully.

I have the Longsword, 2 broadswords and the gladius that I modified from leaf to a straight blade plus the dagger and have never had any issues with any of them.
I just wish that CS made a cutlass design. I asked them for one and they said that they'd need to have more people ask before they had them made.
To each their own I guess. I just don;t find them to be good at all. Their great for bashing i to one another, but not so great for exciting anything beyond that. My group doesn't use them at all anymore.

I look at it lie this; I've been playing music since I was 4. I worked as a professional session player and signed artist for 10 years. I can make a Carlo Robelli or Johnson sound like a Martin D-28, but by no stretch of the imagination are either of those instruments even close to the Martin, let alone a Huss & Daltin or Collings. Just because I can make them sound good doesn't mean their good instruments, just like because I can excite a Zornhau or Zwerchau with a CS waster doesn't make it as good or even close to my Penti, or even a Rawlings. Can I fence with one? Yes. Do I recommend fencing with one? No.
Winter is coming
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ringulf wrote:You should talk to Manveruan's group of pirate folk and my friends in the Laviathin group down here, they might think it a cool campaign to get a petition up to show support for the idea and then pitch it to the folks at CS! :mrgreen:

just a thought
Haha, heck yeah! I know for a while we were really looking for a good cutlass waster to practice with. In the end though the group kind of fell apart, so there's not much need anymore. Still... Tempting...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains