Boot weathering

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Boot weathering

Post by Faolan »

I have a pair of the "Robin" boots from SCAboots.com. They are very comfortable and waterproof, although I've had to do a few repairs on them with shoe-goo when the upper separated from the sole near the back on both boots. Not bad considering I've worn them to work everyday since I bought them last Nov.

They are good sturdy ranger boots but too shiny for my liking. Is there a way to scruff up the leather without losing the water repellency? Ideally I would like to get them to a dark gray but I can leave them black if I can lose the shininess.

They appear to be made from goat or pigskin.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

What about a VERY fine grit of sandpaper? I don't know if that will ruin the water repellency of the boots though.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I think the sandpaper is a good option, to take the edge off a bit. This will almost definitely affect the water resistance, but you can then apply a leather treatment, like pecards, or sno seal or similar. I'm not sure what else you could use, maybe mink oil or something? This will darken up the boots too. I'm only making educated guesses here though, I haven't actually done the sandpapering to boots. I know that when my leather boots have been scuffed up well, a good treatment sets them right again and darkens them nicely. If you're worried about shininess though, make sure the treatment doesn't have a shiny finish.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm with the guys on the sandpaper, but I'd do it a little more "naturally". I take dirt and smother leather in it, filling a rag with the dirt and rubbing it as though it's sandpaper. It tends to remove shine without being as abrasive. Sam's still right about probably needing to re-seal them afterwards.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dave F

Post by Dave F »

I have the same boots, I wore them just about every day to weather them but they still looked too new, I have hiked all over in them, wet and dry.
I decided to speed up the process a bit. I used Lacquer thinner on a rag to remove some of the leather dye. Do a small area first to get a feel for it. Try not to get it near any glue like around the soles. It evaporates pretty quickly, so buy a big can. This will take away most of the shinyness. You will still need to waterpruf them again. I used Sno Seal on mine. A light grit sand paper will work good then. And use plenty of ventilation!

Dave
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

All sound like good suggestions, I will let you know how they turn out!
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Before and after pics! You know how we are on these forums. :)
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

i am in the US Army, and a believer that one maintains ones kit in the best order. Your boots will weather just fine however...

if you sand them down a bit and than use what ever color polish, just rub it in with a cloth (rub in means push it in to the grains by force) and not buff it out you will get what you want in looks with out getting wet feet.

in reality you would want to wax and polish your boots daily or at least weakly to keep them weather and grime proof, you live on your feet, cant fight if your crippled by a blister or trench foot http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWfoot.htm
if you have a week stomach , do not click that link
lacking anything clever to say.......
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Doing a bit of research on this (as I have some shiny black boots from Museum Replicas myself) Fuller's Earth was recommended as a distressing agent.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/fullers.php

You can also try leather balm as well.

David, when I was in the Army we kept our boots polished, but it was always a bone of contention on the level of shine. I had a buddy who taught me how to spit shine my boots (he baked his on in the oven) and once you learned to do that, it was always just a touch up job to get that shine back when scuffed. Of course, when I went to PLDC, they really didn't care for my spit shined jump boots :P and every time I changed posts the standing order on buff versus polished boot would change.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

was not saying 'spit' shine per say, rather a good buff, spit shine looks sharp but is a waste of time you could spend on bow strings, blades and gathering food.

The only time I spit shined is for parades, payday activities ect.
still a paratrooper, so still spit shining; heat gun, and a pair of old nylon stockings, kiwi black and neutral. looks like a new black sports car when I am done

we wear rough out brown boots now all the time in uniform, no shining just brush them out

if any one is going to 'spit' shine, use water spit breaks down the wax, besides its a un ranger like habit
lacking anything clever to say.......
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Spit shining was NEVER my strong point. Now that I've been out 17 years I finally get good advice on how to do it! Go figure :roll: .
But seriously, yeah, you do need to make sure you preserve your boots.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric C wrote:Spit shining was NEVER my strong point. Now that I've been out 17 years I finally get good advice on how to do it! Go figure :roll: .
But seriously, yeah, you do need to make sure you preserve your boots.
Hey, we must have gotten out around the same time! I ETS'd 2 Apr 92 after almost 7 years. What was your MOS? I was an 05K.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I was a 12B. David tells me it is a 21B these days. Anyway my MOS was Combat Engineer. I ETS'ed 22 July 1992 After 3 years. My unit was out of Germany. We got volunteered by our Battalion Commander to go to Desert Shield/Storm.
Sam

Re: Boot weathering

Post by Sam »

How did this one work out? Anyone else try it?
hesinraca

Re: Boot weathering

Post by hesinraca »

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but I have had the ranger boots for the last 8 years. They weathered fairly well on their own, but I think what did the msot damage was scuffing through gravel roads, letting them get muddy and wet and then balling them up in a plastic bag for the drives home, and never cleaning them... on the other hand I think I agree with maintaining kit quality over aesthetics...
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com