My friend wants you oppinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My friend wants you oppinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

Post by Addreonynn »

He's going for a ranger of the tolkein world and needs opinions! He gets all paranoid about his stuff!!! lol so any constructive criticism, tips and trick, and the like are welcome!!! Thanks in advance!

P.S. tell him to join the forum! If he hears it from you guys, he might actually do it!

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: My friend wants you oppinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

Post by wulfgar »

I think his kit is great! Very well done. Are his "boots" a kind of spat or gaiter?
You can't take the sky from me.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Yes they are! I actually had to look up the terms, but now that I know what that means, yes.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: My friend wants you opinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

Post by caedmon »

It's a good start.

What's his intent? Is this just for cosplay and the like, or is he intending to get out into the wild? Is it for fun or practicality? What are the weather extremes where he lives? I can point my comments and suggestions better if I know what he wants to do.

-Jack
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Re: My friend wants your opinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

Post by Udwin »

Alright, I'll bite.
It's not my style, but for an amorphous, generically-'medieval' woodland skirmisher, I'd say your friend is well on his way to having a good outfit. I assume the duster and shirt are based on Strider's ranger duds from the films?
I'm with Jack though, is this just for bumming around the local Ren faire on the weekends or does he plan to wear this and get dirty out on a trek in the backcountry?
As is expected for new gear, the leather and buckles and such are Much Too Shiny.
Tolkien seems to suggest in his description of the Dunedain
"...the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. ... There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness: nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star." - The Lord of the Rings, Book V The War of the Ring, Chapter 2: The Passing of the Grey Company.
that they should be as un-shiny as possible. Luckily, brass is easy to tarnish (using either saltwater, ammonia, or vinegar), and strong rubbing alcohol will quickly take the shine off new leather.
I'm wary of the metal gauntlet and longsword (just seems a little too late-medieval-showy to me). And swap the double-d-ring belt for one with a proper buckle. But not a bad start overall!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It is a great beginning, if field work is intended.
'They are a strange company, these newcomers,' said Gimli. 'Stout and lordly they are, and the Riders of Rohan look almost as boys beside them; for they are grim of face, *worn like weathered rocks for the most part*, even as Aragorn himself; and they are silent.'
The shine of most things, such as brass buckles and rivet heads, even highly polished leather, will settle down with time spent in the bush.

If they are for field work, sturdiness is the order of the day, and natural fabrics over anything synthetic.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Addreonynn

Re: My friend wants you opinion on his garb [PIC HEAVY]

Post by Addreonynn »

caedmon wrote:It's a good start.

What's his intent? Is this just for cosplay and the like, or is he intending to get out into the wild? Is it for fun or practicality? What are the weather extremes where he lives? I can point my comments and suggestions better if I know what he wants to do.

-Jack
His intent is all of the above, with an emphasis on trekking.
Udwin wrote:Alright, I'll bite.
It's not my style, but for an amorphous, generically-'medieval' woodland skirmisher, I'd say your friend is well on his way to having a good outfit. I assume the duster and shirt are based on Strider's ranger duds from the films?
I'm with Jack though, is this just for bumming around the local Ren faire on the weekends or does he plan to wear this and get dirty out on a trek in the backcountry?
As is expected for new gear, the leather and buckles and such are Much Too Shiny.
Tolkien seems to suggest in his description of the Dunedain
"...the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. ... There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness: nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star." - The Lord of the Rings, Book V The War of the Ring, Chapter 2: The Passing of the Grey Company.
that they should be as un-shiny as possible. Luckily, brass is easy to tarnish (using either saltwater, ammonia, or vinegar), and strong rubbing alcohol will quickly take the shine off new leather.
I'm wary of the metal gauntlet and longsword (just seems a little too late-medieval-showy to me). And swap the double-d-ring belt for one with a proper buckle. But not a bad start overall!
He agrees with the shiny problem, but didn't know how to dull it down, so to speak. Thanks for the tips! And his persona is a combat oriented ranger, hence the metal gauntlets. :)
Eledhwen wrote:It is a great beginning, if field work is intended.
'They are a strange company, these newcomers,' said Gimli. 'Stout and lordly they are, and the Riders of Rohan look almost as boys beside them; for they are grim of face, *worn like weathered rocks for the most part*, even as Aragorn himself; and they are silent.'
The shine of most things, such as brass buckles and rivet heads, even highly polished leather, will settle down with time spent in the bush.

If they are for field work, sturdiness is the order of the day, and natural fabrics over anything synthetic.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
That's what he's been doing so far to give it a worn look. Most of the holes in the cloak are from a battle with thorns and the like! lol thanks for your input!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Overall, I like it. He looks like he's comfortable in it, which is important. I agree with what Udwin said, for the most part, as well. I would probably lose the studded gloves, or just take off the studs. I also think the armor piece on his shoulder looks like it might restrict his movement a bit. I get it's function, on his sword arm, but since the rest of his body isn't armored, it seems a tad out of place to my eye (same with the bracers). To me, it seems a little silly for a "combat oriented" person of any kind to armor his forearms and right shoulder, but not his chest, neck, groin, or head. I'd say go armored, or go un-armored, with optional leather protectors here and there - but some of that is just personal preference.
I also agree with the above statement about getting a belt with a buckle instead of the double-ring setup (it's far more secure that way).
Finally, I would say that proper boots may be in order, but ultimately the spats he's wearing don't look too bad, under the circumstances.
Otherwise I think the kit looks good, fits him well, and seems fairly functional. Over time he may want to add things like a haversack, water container, bedroll, etc. but as a basic starting point, he could have done much, MUCH worse.

Cheers!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Manveruon wrote:Overall, I like it. He looks like he's comfortable in it, which is important. I agree with what Udwin said, for the most part, as well. I would probably lose the studded gloves, or just take off the studs. I also think the armor piece on his shoulder looks like it might restrict his movement a bit. I get it's function, on his sword arm, but since the rest of his body isn't armored, it seems a tad out of place to my eye (same with the bracers). To me, it seems a little silly for a "combat oriented" person of any kind to armor his forearms and right shoulder, but not his chest, neck, groin, or head. I'd say go armored, or go un-armored, with optional leather protectors here and there - but some of that is just personal preference.
I also agree with the above statement about getting a belt with a buckle instead of the double-ring setup (it's far more secure that way).
Finally, I would say that proper boots may be in order, but ultimately the spats he's wearing don't look too bad, under the circumstances.
Otherwise I think the kit looks good, fits him well, and seems fairly functional. Over time he may want to add things like a haversack, water container, bedroll, etc. but as a basic starting point, he could have done much, MUCH worse.

Cheers!
this was just garb. he does a full bedroll instead of a pack, and he has a hard leather belt pouch thats pretty good sized and fits all that he needs. thanks for the input!!!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

OK, I do think this is a good starter kit. I'm going to get critical, not to put him down, but because he asked for opinions. (Also, please remember I'm in Alaska, so take my trekking advice from that perspective. )

My biggest problem with this kit is that it seems to be mostly made of cotton materials. Cottons are problematic because of their propensity to wick heat away from the body. If he's in a hot clime, this may be a good thing.

I'm not to worried about shinyness, use will take care of that. But some browning/weathering would go a long way if he's impatient.

Things that I would change are the gloves and boots. Fingerless gloves are very useful, but the studs are disconcerting. (Browning might change that, though.) For boots, I'd go for something like Viking Leathercrafts laced ankle boots with winningas (leg windings).
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

^ What he said :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Hey that is me! Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Eothain wrote:Hey that is me! Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eothain...pardon if I seem forward and if this question comes out of nowhere, but have you ever lived in or near Glendora, CA?

You look exactly like an older version of someone I knew when they were a pre-teen back home in So Cal. Even the bow you're holding looks familiar. If it's not you...no worries.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Greg wrote:Eothain...pardon if I seem forward and if this question comes out of nowhere, but have you ever lived in or near Glendora, CA?

You look exactly like an older version of someone I knew when they were a pre-teen back home in So Cal. Even the bow you're holding looks familiar. If it's not you...no worries.
No need to pardon yourself for asking, Greg. Though I've lived in Missouri all of ny life.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.