Stomach Waterskin

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Stomach Waterskin

Post by BarrelMaker »

For some time now I've been thinking of how to carry water while in the woods. What I would like to do is make an actual waterskin out of the stomach of a deer. I'm hoping that once deer season starts I might get lucky and have a fresh stomach to work with. However, I really have no idea how to go about this. I have run across one website ( http://www.ehow.com/how_7829230_make-wa ... omach.html ) describing how to make a waterskin from a sheep stomach and I assume that the process would be identical for deer. What concerns me here is that there is no mention of treatment to prevent rotting. Perhaps the boiling is enough. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight or sources on this subject. Thanks for any input!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Stomach Waterskin

Post by Straelbora »

I'd keep poking around on the internet. I can't imagine that merely boiling an ungulate's stomach is enough to render it both waterproof and protect it from decay.

If you think of the classic Spanish bota, there's the inner waterproof bladder and then the outer layer of leather to protect it.

If I have some time next week, I'll try and search Spanish websites to see if I can find anything about making botas. That might give some insight.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál