Eating utensils - possible find

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Eating utensils - possible find

Post by Peter Remling »

I came across this auction for primirve eating utensils:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0143835835

Price and shipping are good.

Thought some of you might be interested. I was tempted but already have a decent set.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Is that forged iron, or is that paint? It's hard to tell in the pic, but we have an outdoor craft paint that mimics the look of iron (Patio paint, 'Wrought Iron Black) and that looks kinda like it to me.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I agree; it does kinda look like a paint finish. I suppose if nothing else, you could stick 'em in a fire for a few minutes and snap crackle pop that stuff off...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It does look painted over, but I too think a drop it the fire would burn it off.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Sam »

I've never been much of a fan of those sets to be honest, they're too heavy, and they really only have one use: feasting. A wooden spoon and your all-purpose knife should do fine. Ok for the faire, but for going into the wilds? Not for me.
RikJohnson

Re: Eating utensils - possible find

Post by RikJohnson »

the pair on the left has a thistle pattern. I traded some English flint I had for these at a Ren Faire. The smith thought he had cheated me as he was planning to break the flint into smaller pieces for flint-locks. I thought I had cheated him as I had picked the flint up on the road while in England.

The knife with the horsehead handle I bought at another Ren Faire.

the next two I forged myself one day to see if I could. But made the handle too long.

the wood spoon I found at a thrift store.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I purchased a set of utensils from KOA. Nice, comes with fork, knife, spoon and a pouch I can carry them in
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I generally carry a wood or horn spoon, have a fork to pull meat out of the pot, and have my belt knife for any necessary cutting. Haven't found a need for a set of dedicated utensils except for feast in the SCA.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

For those who haven't see the thread yet, check out the 2nd century Roman eating utensil multi tool http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =27&t=2651

I haven't found anyplace selling them yet, but some reproductions have been made.