There's a hole in the bucket...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: There's a hole in the bucket...

Post by Straelbora »

BarrelMaker wrote:I do some woodworking myself and have sold several food safe items, mainly goblets. I use and would recommend Salad Bowl Finish. If you have a wood workers supply near you then you should be able to find it but Lowes and Home Depot do not carry it. I would also suggest Rockler, they're a good company and here is the link.
http://www.rockler.com/salad-bowl-finish
I hope that helps.
Thanks.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thank you everyone for all the into! Turnip is really into carving (as well as almost any other kind of art!), so we'll get some good wood, and maybe she can help get me started also! Sindara
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote:the way they used to do it, was keep water in them. this would cause it to swell up and form a water tight seal! just submerge it and soak it in water for a day! great find! i love those buckets
I found another small wooden bucket at the Salvation Army store and tried your advice- when I first put water in it, it leaked from all over. I soaked it for several hours and there was only a slight drip. Thanks!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Beeswax should do in a pinch.

Jas Townsend sells brewers pitch.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.