Pouring pewter (pic heavy)

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Pouring pewter (pic heavy)

Post by wulfgar »

Disclaimer! This was only my second time doing this and I still have a lot to learn, if anyone has any input please bring it.
A couple of months ago I posted some images of my walking stick/spear with poured pewter tips. I wanted to try a knife. The knife pommel didn't come out as smoothly, I am guessing because of the octagonal and tapered handle.
This is how the knife started, it's a generic 18th century trade knife from Avalon Forge.
You are going to need something to hold the pewter to the wood, I opted for the non period choice of a wood screw.
Next you need a mold. I just used a piece of cereal box and painter's tape. It doesn't need to be much.
Here's the pewter melting in a soup can on a bed of coals. A camp stove works just as well. For my pewter, I had a lead free pewter belt buckle that had a broken tab on the back. Keep an eye out for pewter items at thrift stores, or you can get it from places like Jas. Townsend.
Here's the freshly poured pewter. PLEASE WEAR HEAVY LEATHER GLOVES. It takes a few minutes to set up, but wait until it cools completely before removing the mold. I started to pull it off before it was totally cool and it pulled some of the pewter away.
After the mold is removed. It can now be filed and sanded smooth. I used a belt sander first, then hand sanded with fine grits 400-1200 in stages.
Final product. You can see how it's not really even, I need more practice.
Hope this was helpful.
You can't take the sky from me.
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Pouring pewter (pic heavy)

Post by Addreonynn »

thats awesome! just cardboard holds it with out burning! who wudda thunk it?!?
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That didn't come out so bad. It looks really good as a matter of fact. I tried using silver bearing solder for some knives I recently finished for a client. That doesn't pour very well. I kid you not, on five knives, I probably poured them 50 times. Out of all those times, I finished two knives. From there I switched to some nickel babbet left over from a job I used to do at work. It poured great! I haven't tried anything from Jas Townsend yet but I'm thinking of it.

As I typed this, I realized I should probably say something helpful :lol: . One thing you may consider for the next project is to make a little "cut-in?" or shelf so the pewter will pour around the wood and come up to be even with the surface of the handle. That gives you a little to play with in the sanding before you sand through the pewter to the wood. I've got pics up on my fb forge page of the five seaxish knives that I did this on if you want to go there and see them. Hope this helps some.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

That is great advice! Thank you very much. I have an old Tramontina Machete that is going to be turned into a knife and rehandled, I will definitely use that technique if I do any pewter on it.
You can't take the sky from me.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Awesome. I just did something similar with making a candle (no pics, though). I like buying Baby Bell cheeses, since it's a mouthful of cheese that goes well on a hike, each being a tiny wheel of cheese in a wax casing.

I always keep the wax, and the other day, picked up a nice small pot with pouring spouts perfect for double boiling.

So I took a toiletpaper roll, tied a piece of string to a paper clip, centered it in the empty tube and set it in an old pie pan. Melted the wax and made a candle. It's completely asymmetric, but I think that gives it a great air of authenticity.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál