Buying a bow

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Buying a bow

Post by wulfgar »

I am seriously considering getting a bow. I am slowly dropping out of ACW reenacting and as I sell off my gear I am getting the strong urge to get a bow. I have always enjoyed archery, and wanted to get back into it. I will probably get a u-finish medieval English longbow from G.I. Bows. What do most people get as a draw weight? Should I just go with the #45 that is listed as standard. I will mostly be doing target shooting, possibly get back into the SCA (not combat), and maybe some small game hunting. I know that #45 is probably enough for targets, but should I get something a bit heavier for say, hunting rabbits?
You can't take the sky from me.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Buying a bow

Post by E.MacKermak »

In many states, 45# is the minimum for hunting deer. My current longbow is 45 but I am planning for a 55 or 60 when I replace this one. 45 is comfortable for me to shoot for several hours at a time.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I may go with a heavier weight like #60. I just don't want to get something too heavy.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I like a 50-55. I'd say 60 is more than ample. You honestly won't need anything more than that for any purpose whatsoever, unless you're planning on defending the field against the French at Agincourt, haha.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

Arizona Game Laws say 45# for hunting though how you an take down an elk or bear with only 45# is beyond me.
Getting close enough to do damage is tricky, hitting it from a distance and you loose power.

I prefer 35-45 as it doesn't tire me out or damage my body after a day on the range. 35# for close targets, 45# for the decent range targets. 2-# in my back yard<g>.
But then, I am a target shooter and don't hunt.

I have a number of GIBow bows and like them for many reasons, cost, personalizing, local dealers...

Still, there is something about a good longbow!
BUT....

>>>> you will find that arrows cost big bucks!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

RikJohnson wrote: you will find that arrows cost big bucks!
Depends. If he's looking for historical accuracy or quality traditional hunting arrows, then yes. If he's just looking for good quality wood target arrows, they're not so expensive if you know where to look. Quite a few of the members here (myself included) have purchased from here: http://www.dmerrill.com/store/index.php ... roductId=5 and found them to be very good quality for a very reasonable price.

As for the OP: Since you have archery experience already, I believe that you will be happy with anything from #45-55, but do check your state and local laws if you plan on doing any hunting.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

The majority of my arrows will just be practice and target arrows, but I would like to have a good PC dozen or so. The minimun draw weight for Arkansas is 40lbs. I believe, I am thinking I will probably go with 50lbs.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Just be sure your arrows are spined for your bow, whatever draw weight you wind up with. Too light and they can break on release and do undesirable things to your anatomy. Too heavy and range and accuracy suffer.

Luck

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

45# is enough to take anything in North America. and is the legal minimum in most states (check yours). All it takes is arrow placement. Hit the boiler room and it'll go down no problem. (located just behind the front shoulder. the lungs and heart are in there barely protected.)
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Eledhwen wrote:Just be sure your arrows are spined for your bow, whatever draw weight you wind up with. Too light and they can break on release and do undesirable things to your anatomy. Too heavy and range and accuracy suffer.

Luck

Eledhwen
Thank you for that advice. The bows I sot when I was a boy were fairly light and came with arrows. I was looking at arrows at Wal-Mart today and they were labeled for weight, but didn't think about it if I was to order a bow and then get arrows from somewhere else.