Sweet Flask Instructions

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Sweet Flask Instructions

Post by Daerir »

In my recent studies, I discovered this awesome walkthrough to make an amazing flask!
http://howtomakearmour.blogspot.com/201 ... flask.html
Heres a pic of what it looks like when finished!

An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Sindara
Dúnadan

Re: Sweet Flask Instructions

Post by Sindara »

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing that! Will definitely have to try making one!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

A lot of people on the board have made bottles like this. Here's one thread: http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... le&start=0 but there are several others in the Crafts section.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

How large do you think this should be?

For those who carry one, what are your dimensions and is it too large or too small or just right???

I just bought some leather and am going to make my own but not certain of the size to cut. Too small and you remain thirsty. too large and it is too heavy and bulky to carry.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

We also started to play with some costrals and flackets they are on some other threads. I have some new entries on the Ringulf Ceadmon costrel project that should be out before the end of the week so keep your eys open for that. :mrgreen:

http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... f=5&t=1928
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Probly ought to be big enough to carry a quart. as recommended by the US armed forces
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

I have made 2 of these before...and now I use a "bota that has been doctored up".....

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/Stonedo ... ort=3&o=13

Leather bottles or costrels need CARE to avoid leakage and mold growth....just know it is an ongoing process....and Valar forbid you fall on it when on a scout.....

Also, if you make your own, be prepared for SORE fingers! I used 2 lines of stitching around everything as added insurance and it is worth it in the long run...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote:Probly ought to be big enough to carry a quart. as recommended by the US armed forces
two problems here.

A) a quart may be fine when I was in Germany but when in Arabia (et environs), I carried a LOT more water and living in Arizona, a quart is not enough.

B) what are the dimensions? Height & width? for the thing.

I have a leather bota that I adapted, still trying to get the wooden plug to match the wooden mouth I carved. Not the "wal-mart" one but a total leather bota that works. But I cannot sit still and want to try the flask shown above.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

In the Army we use 1qt canteens standard, but also carry 2qt canteens and 3l Camelbacks. I generally do not go on a trip more than a few hours without at least a gallon, and that goes up in hotter weather or if I am not sure where I will resupply from. In average weather with acclimatized folks, the recommendation is about 1qt an hour, not to exceed 12 qts a day.

Now for the question: How big to make your bottle? 1-2 qts is about as big as I would make for a single bottle if you are traveling by foot. If you have another mode of travel, make several. 2 quarts of water weighs about 4 lbs, which doesn't sound like much until it is suspended off one shoulder for miles at a time.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I have a small flask, formed with wooden blocks. Still need to line with bees wax or similar food safe materials.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

RikJohnson wrote: B) what are the dimensions? Height & width? for the thing.

I have a leather bota that I adapted, still trying to get the wooden plug to match the wooden mouth I carved. Not the "wal-mart" one but a total leather bota that works. But I cannot sit still and want to try the flask shown above.
http://youtu.be/h-w9pyxyZF8

Here in the ozarks, I'm always within 10 miles of water. If I can't find water, I need a new hobby! lol Sorry for the confusion I'm not sure what climate you live in. It only gets 108*F max here with humidity of 93% on avg I never needed more than a quart at a time. Didn't take into consideration you don't live in Missouri haha This video will help make one quart. I would make one any bigger than that. If you need more than that, take multiple so you can distribute weight better. IMHO
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote: Here in the ozarks, I'm always within 10 miles of water. If I can't find water, I need a new hobby! lol Sorry for the confusion I'm not sure what climate you live in. It only gets 108*F max here with humidity of 93% on avg I never needed more than a quart at a time. Didn't take into consideration you don't live in Missouri haha This video will help make one quart. I would make one any bigger than that. If you need more than that, take multiple so you can distribute weight better. IMHO
In Arizona, you are lucky to be within a hundred miles of water.
During the rainy season, you can find streams in the mountains though they dry up most of the year. But the desert causes water to run off quickly or be sucked into the ground.
And people who say "drink water from cactus" are the people who have never left their armchair.

So here, with Summer tems past 110 and humidiry around 0.75% (you turn into a dust bunny when it reaches 0%) we cary all of our water and even on the man-made lakes, you filter what you find.
I'm a kayaker and carry a gallon-a-day plus a water filter and UV-pen (hey! do you know what fish do in that water?).

Which is why even overseas I carried two quarts on my web-belt and a couple more in my pack.
A habit I continue here.

I've been 'converting' botas and canteens and such to Period-looking canteens but decided to make a leather water bottle to get away from the plastic bota-insides.
All the instructions and videos tell how but you have to guess at the dimensions and none tell you how to measure the mouth-opening before you sew it.

I cut mine from a pattern I made that fills a 8 1/2 x 11 paper and will start sewing sometime this week. I figure that will be enough as I'd rather carry the weight then suffer the results of dehydration. If my pee looks yellow, I am not drinking enough!
Along with brass & bone needles.
finishing the deck on my kayak trailer.
making more arrows.
working on a dozen other projects.