Cold weather gear

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Cold weather gear

Post by Straelbora »

I bought a wool Viking style tunic (can't call it a Viking tunic with the bizarro modern trim they put on it) from Museum Replicas when it was on sale a few months ago.

Just spent an hour in 0 degrees (not sure what the wind chill was- couldn't have been too much, it wasn't that windy, maybe 10 below) in jeans, a T-shirt and the wool tunic and a wool hat. Didn't get one bit cold.

Has anyone else been testing out cold weather gear in these bouts of exceedingly cold temperatures?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Cold weather gear

Post by Ringulf »

Yeah! I actually wore long pants the other day...felt weird! :P

No we really have had a bit of colder weather for Southern Ithilian, though nothing like what you Rangers of the North have experienced! It is a great time to try out all the wools and furs and sueds that normally I can not even think about donning.

At a Viking event a few weeks ago I was able to wear a wool tunic and fur vest and leggings. I wore my rabbit fur hat and was toasty all day. I finally got to look the part without suffering. Though throwing still raised a good bit of perspiration (with me, moving my eyes back and forth can do that!) I was thinking how nice it would be to have an Icelandic Summer. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

When to the post office and some PT yesterday in a tee shirt, hoodie and jeans and felt comfortably cool. When I started the car up, I looked and the thermometer- 18 degrees. Just shows how quickly one can acclimate to temp changes.
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.ph ... 285.0.html

This may be relevant to your interests.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Been working all around the house in my wool lately on my days off. If I wouldn't get stopped every ten seconds for the whole twelve hour shift, I'd wear 'em to the warehouse and stay warmer.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

That stuff can surprise you. Mine is more of a loose weave for summer, but it still keeps me plenty warm when it gets cold, so long as it's not windy. Though if it does I just throw a cloak on. I kinda wish I had more chances to use winter garb, I prefer it to summer most the time.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I hunted in my wool gear this year. its basic military surplus but its od green and works great.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Frothgar wrote:http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.ph ... 285.0.html

This may be relevant to your interests.
Very nice stuff. I'm always disappointed that more people don't want to do outdoor activities in the winter.

Today in Indianapolis was perfect for wool over synthetics- about 34 degrees with a steady drizzle.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I got stuck at work last week during an ice storm, so all my stuff was at home. Except for my wool blanket. I did spend a couple of hours out on the roads digging cars out using my wool blanket as a match coat. Worked like a charm, super warm, and easy to vent as I started to build up some excess body heat. Temperature was 18 degrees and I was in a sweatshirt, running pants, a watch cap, gloves and the blanket. Toasty!

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

I've winter camped in weather like this in the past. I've hiked with just long underwear a wool flannel nylon zip off pants a hat and gloves while hiking. Sometimes I would wear a wool cloak also. Once I hit camp I would usually put on a down jacket and snow pants If it's windy. The temps on my last two winter trips were a high of -15 and windy. I was toasty the whole time