Alone in the Past

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alderic
Dúnadan

Alone in the Past

Post by Alderic »

So, I came across an article on a blog someone shared on Facebook earlier...skimmed the pictures and just had to look into it more.
Basically, this guy is spending 6 months living in the early medieval period during the winter. And we all know the reputation the Russian winter has.

Anyway, here's a trailer for it...

Eventually found the actual project pages. Ones an info page, and another a blog. Both are in Russian, so you may want to use Chrome or something that can translate it. Probably won't help with the blog much since most seems to be video.
Info Page
Project Blog

Even if you can't understand a single word I'm sure there's quite a bit we could still learn quite a bit from this. Haven't gotten a chance to look through too much yet but I know what I'm doing later.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Alone in the Past

Post by Greg »

Open the pages using Google Chrome and it will automatically offer to translate it. I did, and though there are a few verbiage errors for modern English, it's understandable. This is incredible...there is a complete map of what is essentially an 800+ years past homestead on that page. This is incredible.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow this is really cool Greg, I love this sort of thing! I even got into the show on the Nat Geo channel the other day about the Legend of Nick Dodge.
Even though I would be dead in a month or two without the meds I need, I often fantasize about returning to a natural life, one that is simple and uncomplicated but a challenge each day to live.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Awesome. Over the last few weeks, I've been thinking that I wanted to polish up my Russian, since I really don't get to use it, and this website is the perfect place to do it- it's not 'literary,' so I'm not looking up every other word, and it's preeminently interesting to me as a topic, so I'm motivated to keep reading.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Not that i can speak a bit of Russian....and some would say that we in Kentucky barely speak English...this is still excellent!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Hey, thanks for posting this, Alderic! Sign me up - I'd be right at home in that situation - well, maybe not in Russia, but somewhere on our side of the pond! With my first marriage, lived next to the Yolla Bolla Wilderness area in north California. No 'electricity, got water from the spring, cooked over the wood stove, or outside over the fire pit. Bathed in a big metal 'tub' - during the winter (heated water on the wood stove), bathed, and did laundry, in the creek in the summer. No fridge (used the spring, or a 'cooler' box, had an outhouse. Was an hour's drive to shopping. Loved it! Have to say, I really miss that life! Would go back to that (well, not that marriage) lifestyle in a heartbeat! Sindara
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

One of the things I really like about this is that's it's not a report made after the fact, that guy is actually out there right now and we're getting an update almost every day.

While I wouldn't want to live like that for an extended time, at least alone, I wouldn't mind having the option to go out for a few days to get away from modern life.