Extra resources

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Extra resources

Post by hesinraca »

Hey everyone. As you all probably know I am a member of the Belegarth medieval combat society. BMCS is foam fighting (boffers for you scadians) at its best. Football became how it is after they went through many heavier, rougher versions of balls and rules. Basketball started with a wooden wine barrel cut in half for the hoop. Belegarth is more or less a sports evolution of medieval combat groups that maximizes the sport-playability and the range of participants. I love SCA heavy fighting (getting my first rawhide and wood center-held shield this month!) and it is definitely more hard hitting like actual combat, but belegarth fighting really promotes speed and reaction times, and it allows for the most fun from the most people.

ANYWHO. As an added resources for fighting technique, discussion, as well as arts (leather wood metal, sewing, etc) and if you join the extra forums for cooking and medieval camping, http://board.belegarth.com/ is a really good place, even if you think foam fighting is stupid and don't want to do Belegarth, to get lots of good info. Lots of people get into bele fro the medieval aspect too, though not as strongly as the sca, and this forum is a huge source for feedback and ideas. Checksky it out and lets get a meeting going so I can meet all the ranger folk!
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Extra resources

Post by Willrett »

Thanks for the info, I checked it out and would like to try it if I can get some of my friends interested. They all are into paintball now.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Extra resources

Post by hesinraca »

I love paintball. Depending on the Belegarth group you find (varries by geo-location) it can get pretty rough, if that is any motivation to go get some training. Just remember that you'll have to do some work with actual weapons on the side and consider belegarth your reaction and mechanics/speed training, as well as field-awareness, and that the real weapons will not work the same. Don't tell them that though, some Belegrim get sore when they are reminded that they don't know how to use actual swords;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com