For those dealing with this latest storm!!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kiriana
Haeropada

For those dealing with this latest storm!!

Post by Kiriana »

Here in SC it's been crazy. Snow yesterday and snow, freezing rain and yuk all day today.

Please, if any of you are dealing with this system as well.. BE CAREFUL!!!

Be safe everyone
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: For those dealing with this latest storm!!

Post by Straelbora »

I think during that last storm, a lot of us Northerners got a lot of mileage out of joking about how Southerners can't drive on one inch of snow, but I think that a lot of people didn't realize the ice component- I don't care how heavy a vehicle is, 4 wheel drive, etc. - on enough ice, your vehicle is like an air hockey puck, at the mercy of physics.

Stay home and stay safe. No job or gallon of milk is worth your life.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eärendur
Dúnadan

Post by Eärendur »

If it stays cold for much longer, all the great lakes will greatly resemble the Helcaraxë!

http://blogs.woodtv.com/files/2014/02/m ... lakes1.jpg
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yeah, the Great Lakes are around 85% frozen. Hasn't' happened since the 70s they say.

Regardless of the hype, this Winter has not been unusual up here. It is far more like those of my younger years than anything else. The 'normal' Winters people have been thinking about are more recent affairs. Two to four feet of snow on the ground all Winter was normal when I was young, snow in October was not unusual and certainly we'd had some by November. White Christmastides were not rare. We skated on the ponds and lakes most of the Winter. We had a week or so of warm weather in January..the Chinook..but remained pretty well snowy and cold right into April. Last frost day for our region is Memorial Day in May.

It has been a long time since we had confidence to skate on lakes and ponds in these parts. This Winter is unusual for folks in the South I figure, but not up here in New England.

Stay safe folks, especially if you are not accustomed to this sort of weather.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Like you Eledhwen, I remember harsher weather. Although it was nothing like what you saw up there, we had colder weather here when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. I didn't miss those cold days! They didn't have to come back! :lol:

But anyway, it started snowing here a little more than an hour ago and my boss cut us loose at least until Friday. The roads are already well covered. And yes, for all those who say we southerners can't drive in snow, we can drive in snow just fine . . . well, some can . . . it's the ice that gets us. And it gets a lot of folks from up north who come down and think it's easier than we make it out to be.

Regardless of where you are and what you are used to, if you're seeing bad weather, stay safe!!! I rather enjoy seeing each of you on the boards here and I don't want that to change.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Fimbulvintr......
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

We were very lucky to make it through last night's shift without any bad weather, and I am off till Saturday. I spent 3 winters in Germany and don't miss the cold a bit lol everyone stay safe!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mirimaran wrote:We were very lucky to make it through last night's shift without any bad weather, and I am off till Saturday. I spent 3 winters in Germany and don't miss the cold a bit lol everyone stay safe!

Ken
Yep, those German winters were something up in Wildflecken - in the Rhone Mountain Range.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

We are not even fully escaping all this nastyness down here in Southern Ithilian! We are having hellatious thunder and wind storms and though it is not nearly as cold as what you folks have been getting, it is getting chilly for us too. I am holing up and crafting, by candle light if needed! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote:We are not even fully escaping all this nastyness down here in Southern Ithilian! We are having hellatious thunder and wind storms and though it is not nearly as cold as what you folks have been getting, it is getting chilly for us too. I am holing up and crafting, by candle light if needed! :mrgreen:
Crafting! Now is as good a time as any to get some of those crafts done since the scouting missions are on hold for a while.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

It's looking to be a cold one folks so stay warm and safe. I'm going out to fill my growlers around noon and I'll be smoking a pipe and lifting a pint when the worst of it hits.
Winter is coming
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

we have a few inches here in maryland the dog loves it and im sure the kid will when she wakes up.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Pretty nice here right now. 845 am CST, and it is 60 degrees. But it should warm up later today unto the mid 70's since the skies are party sunny. What's that white stuff on the ground that I am seeing on the Stateside news this morning? :P Y'all be careful driving, and stay warm!
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Post by Khaehaub »

Here in PA we've been getting snow once a week, and I haven't had a full week of school since December. It's also still snowing in PA where I live. My father said that we used to get one of these noreaster storms once a year and it looks like more snow for me Saturday, so the snow isn't over yet for me.
May the best dwarf win... That still only counts as one!
~Gimli
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I went to work at 6am, by 11am we had to close. Driving home in white out conditions is not fun. We got almost a foot already. We have a lull right now but are expected to get another 5-7 inches overnight.

Good Luck and stay warm.