First sword build is now done

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

First sword build is now done

Post by Arbellason »

Well about a year ago me and my brother started building a sword from a bit of bar stock. He did most of the blade work while I did most of the hilt work. I forgot to take pictures while in progress :shock: It's still a bit rough we have yet to do the final finishing.
Specs
26 1/4 overall
21 1/2 blades length
Pommel is brass and is peened
Handle Redwood I believe soon to be wrapped in leather
Cross guard is actually two pieces of round stock welded together
Blade is well whatever steel it was and is tempered
We were going for a made for the mass in the field viking short sword.

The POB is about 5" from the cross guard and is somewhat blades heavy but it's more of a swinger than a stabber so it shouldn't matter.

Here are the pics
http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/wmaru ... rd%20Build
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
ineffableone

Re: First sword build is now done

Post by ineffableone »

Way better work than the "sword" my brother made for me in highschool. Very cool, while it might not compete with some professional made swords in looks department it will always be way more special due to you and your brother making it yourselves.

Please post up some pictures when you finish it up and give it a final finished look.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

We can tell a lot of effort went into that. Very cool.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Found something neat when cleaning it a bit under the carbon buildup on the fuller I uncovered that we accidentally made a Damascus type pattern from heat treatment. Will post some pictures btw finally figured out that my brother was using the Type 1 sword as a blade pattern. Will also have some pictures of an axe we are doing up.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Very good first effort man. If you’d like to continue your journey I suggest reading these two posts form SBG.

This one is form the legendary Michael “Tinker” Pearce………

How I make a sword from stock removal

The second is from the very talented artist Jeffrey Robinson. He’s made bronze sculptures and some outstanding swords as well.

How to make a stock removal blade

There’s way more to making a sword than getting it in a sword like shape. Your sword is blade heavy because it lacks proper mass distribution, something that doesn’t seem important till you actually try and use a sword. A sword with too much blade presence will be hard to recover. Its a balancing act though as too little will require you to use more force (energy) to get the velocity to cut right. Keep grinding away dude and in time you’ll make stuff like these guys…….

Andy Davis

David DelaGardelle

Jeffery J Robison

Brendan Olszowy
Last edited by mcapanelli on Tue May 27, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well after a combined 6 hours of fine sanding with 320 grit sand paper and being covered with carbon and slag dust here are a few pics of it nearing completion. Have a small snag though I have this neat pattern on about 5 inches of the blade on both sides it looks neat but should I keep it there all opinions welcome.
Attachments
100_1176.JPG
100_1176.JPG (234.52 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
100_1178.JPG
100_1178.JPG (249.17 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
the Pattern
the Pattern
damas.jpg (224.39 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Looking really nice, the pattern in the fuller I don't see any problem with keeping it other than maybe being a little more time consuming to clean. I personally like the extra character it gives the blade. And of course you can leave it and later decide to sand it out, but if you sand it out you can't bring it back. Though there might be traces of the pattern in the steel if you do an acid etch, and that might be kind of a subtle cool effect too.

LOL, I am probably just being confusing rather than helpful. So I will just say I like it, great work.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Hmm i wonder if acid etching would reveal any more of this pattern on the blade I personally doubt it but hey this might be worth a go to see what shows up.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Very nice lines man, you have a great eye. I like the overall look of the sword. Its really a great result for your first (first right?) effort. Now all you'd have to do is learn bronze casting and you'd be dangerous.
Winter is coming
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

just need a mold I have already made a pound and a half of weapon grade bronze from copper and tin mixed with a little lead and silver and yes I have plans for a first go I am going to make a sgian Dubh or other smallish dagger with silver inlay of an more elven design and inlay 6 pink garnets in the handle. But that is a later project need to go looking for some more float copper or try melting some malachite down :mrgreen: . But anyway thank you all for your opinions so far :D .
My secret for cleaning blades.. a alcohol soaked rag hurts like hell if you have a cut but it shines and cleans all those tiny little nicks

Also have a lead on some meteorite steel that I can get my hands on if it actually is.

This isn't all of it just a small portion sorry about the quality I suck at taking pictures and don't know how to turn off the flash
Attachments
100_1180.JPG
100_1180.JPG (210.17 KiB) Viewed 14236 times