New Hood

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

New Hood

Post by Greg »

Hood based on the pattern found in the Medieval Tailor's Assistant pdf. The notch in the front happened because I ran out of fabric, but I like the look alright. Wool lined linen, potentially reversible, but really designed with wool-in in mind. This is mostly for camp wear, for keeping my head warm at night, etc., but it also makes a reduced version of my ranger kit blend rather nicely with Medieval Europe. Far more fitted than my cloak's hood, it's very warm, and I think will make this year's winter camps MUCH more comfortable at night. I do this every year...somehow I always manage to work on Winter stuff in the summer, and summer stuff in the winter. Seems like good planning, but then I'm 6 months out from when I can use the stuff, and it gets annoying.

I also thought this might be a good thing to have as a trade-out for the cloak were my Ranger in need of ditching his travel gear and blending in with a town or larger city; appearing a bit more of the peasantry than a stranger, as a simple, short-term limited use "disguise" of sorts.
Last edited by Greg on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: New Hood

Post by Straelbora »

I like the way the front turned out. I made one out of scrap painter's dropcloth canvas from the same pattern.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think it looks great, Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I rather like the knotch also, and the trim work looks very nicely done. It looks very concise, without the voluminous yards of fabric, the fact that it is close to the head will make it less awkward for shooting and camp tasks. it looks like the mantle could almost be tucked inside a tunic or jerkin, if that were desired. (not sure of the benefit there, but I have seen it done) All in all and once again,
Fine job! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love it! Nice job! But then, I'm a sucker for a nice hood, haha.

That being said, I will also point out that I find a hood to be a lot more utilitarian than a full cloak, and I understand now why, historically, they were generally worn separately. Having just the hood and mantle keeps your upper body fairly warm (but not like a furnace), while also allowing you to keep the sun off your head, and unlike a cloak it's not cumbersome. A cloak is great for cold weather, and can be really cozy, but sometimes it's nice to have a hood over your head without the whole mess wrapped around your body, because the full cloak can easily get caught on things, and it generally restricts movement somewhat. I feel a lot more mobile with just my hood.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice, looks simple and useful
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:That being said, I will also point out that I find a hood to be a lot more utilitarian than a full cloak, and I understand now why, historically, they were generally worn separately. Having just the hood and mantle keeps your upper body fairly warm (but not like a furnace), while also allowing you to keep the sun off your head, and unlike a cloak it's not cumbersome. A cloak is great for cold weather, and can be really cozy, but sometimes it's nice to have a hood over your head without the whole mess wrapped around your body, because the full cloak can easily get caught on things, and it generally restricts movement somewhat. I feel a lot more mobile with just my hood.
This is exceptionally true. I rarely spot-and-stalk with my cloak on...it'll snag on everything if I don't want noise, and the moment I don't care, it'll slip through thorns like they aren't there...*chuckle*

A hood on its own is a very versatile article. Just be warned...this wool lining, much like bracers as I addressed in my recent distance trek article, is a GREAT insulator around your neck...meaning you aren't going to ventilate well through the neckline of your tunic. This will probably be rolled up in my cloak when I'm on the move during the summer months...too warm otherwise.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very true. It's a lot like wearing a scarf in that way. My only finished hood is made of a mystery fabric that I'm pretty sure is just a cotton flannel, so it's warm (being flannel), but it does breathe somewhat (being cotton). I also have two more hoods cut out and ready to be sewn - one out of linen and one out of wool - so I'll have some summer and winter alternatives. But overall yes, I think when on a strenuous hike, keeping it off may be the way to go.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I always saw a cloak as:
*warmth when it is cold out.
*dry when it is raining
*an emergency blanket
*a way to move about in town and hide your gear and purse and be incognito
*a great way to meet mwomen when they are cold

But as for wearing it while stalking or hunting...
no. Roll the thing up and be cold or wet while huntong/stalking, then unroll and wrap when you can find down-time.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

There are times indeed when I prefer to keep my visage hidden....but I don't have a hood and my cloak can indeed hinder at times so maybe a new project idea, I have a ton of suede that could work
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'