Swordsmanship and weapon skills: A Ranger's Library

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Unless we change it to "A Ranger's Library" in which case I will post some legitimate herbalism books, and my herbalism notes.... but yes, swordsmanship is a wma thing... heh.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Seriously, one must maintain constant spatial awareness when working this in the living room.
HAHAHA I know how that is. You should see my ceiling.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have no problems with moving it. I was just responding the the Ranger's Essential Library thread.

I do appreciate all the contributions, your imput helps decide what books are next on my "to buy" list.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Sorry I haven't chimed in lately. I am going to go ahead and move this thread. I've been so tied up with the move to our new house that I have neglected the site :( . Bad mod! BAD MOD!!!!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Seriously, one must maintain constant spatial awareness when working this in the living room.
HAHA you bet! I can really feel you here. To get back on topic I'd like to add a book I've been working with for about two months now. "Sword In Two Hands" by Brian Price of the Scola St George. It's just a great book for anyone, let alone a great book to start off with. Brian breaks down the footwork and transitions between the wards, first empty handed and then with sword in hand, in glorious color. The photos are big and easy to understand (At least for me. It's all relative) and it's all broken down in detail. He goes on to show you the first eight "Masters of Battle" in the Italian longsword tradition and how these same wards can be applied across the board to other weapons in the system, even empty hand fighting. I've been so taken by this book I've moved the remaining members of my study group to this. great book that I highly recommend to beginner and advanced student alike.
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I don't know if this would be of use to anyone here, but awhile back I found a copy of Alfred Hutton's "Old Sword Play" (which I believe Peter mentioned in his first post) in *.pdf form online.

OLD SWORD PLAY
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Found an interesting new youtube video today, that, in my opinion, just REEKS of the quick dispatches I'd expect of a ranger. Conveniently, it's all done using short swords. My favorite.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7nz ... annel_page
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:Found an interesting new youtube video today, that, in my opinion, just REEKS of the quick dispatches I'd expect of a ranger. Conveniently, it's all done using short swords. My favorite.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7nz ... annel_page
Well their not really short swords. Langen Messer means "long Knife". And that's just what they are, long single edged butcher knives. If you pick up the Codex Wallerstein there's a fair bit on messer combat. I was thinking it'd make a fine ranger weapon myself so i just started to study messer. I should have a soldat in my possession in a month or two for cutting. If your ever in town your welcomed t check it all out.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Greetings, all.

This is a fascinating site, and an intriguing project. I hope I can contribute a bit.

Another source I would recommend adding to the library is Joachim Meyer's "The Art of Combat" from 1570. The books starts with the longsword, but covers other weapons as well. Right now, a friend and I are working our way through the dagger. This book really covers a complete martial arts system.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

So are there any good books on knife/dagger fighting? Saturday I picked up a 13" dagger- 8" blade. It is blunt for live steel combat. I will post pics in another thread tomorrow if all goes well. I thought of trying to sharpen the blade, but decided against it. I'll use it for training - if I can get the proper text - and as a model for a forged dagger that I'm batting around in this little brain of mine.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have 1 or 2 decent ones, I'll have to dig them out. Stay away from the ones like Bloody Iron, that are written by ex-cons, they pretty much go into prison knife fights and how to make a shank. Not exactly the stuff you're looking for.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hehe, the little sgian that I never put a handle on already gets me accused of making shanks!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

As for books on knife fighting, there are quite a few of interest.

For a good survey of all of them, I'd recommend Jason Vail's "Medieval And Renaissance Dagger Combat". He brings in techniques from several of the old manuals.

And some of those manuals are the ones by Meyer (can't recommned this one enough, but it's expensive), Talhoffer, Fiore and Marozzo. Also the Codex Wallerstein. All of these are good sources.

A lot of the techniques taught for dagger use it in the reverse grip. There is some instruction for fighting with the straight grip, but for that you might want to look more at techniques taught for the messer, as they'll work well for the dagger, just at shorter range.

And when working your way through the techniques, you have to look at them through "fuzzy eyes" as we call it. Remember that they're simplifying things, and aren't showing everything. Practice them, and see how your body wants to respond. Even though a lot of the illustrated techniques don't show the free hand coming into play, if you let it, sometimes the moves make more sense. I can't explain it much better than to say "try it" and then grind your way through.

This past winter, working our way through the dagger section in Meyer's "Art of Combat", my training partner and I went from thinking he was a dunce with the dagger to admiring him as one sneaky, wicked SOB, once we figured out what was really going on. And it does help to have some grounding in any martial arts. Escrima is truly good for knife fighting, if you find the right teacher.

But, ater you work your way through some techniques, nothing beats putting on a little protective gear and trying to leave some marks on an equally determined opponent.

"Now they take up the dagger. May God preserve us all!" -- Talhoffer
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. That is very insightful. I'll be looking for the books you've recommended. Unfortunately, it has been more than 20 years since my Goju Shorin classes. :( But I find that some of the techniques and tactics I learned as an angry teenager still come back to me today.