New reality show on ABC "The Quest"

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New reality show on ABC "The Quest"

Post by Gondian »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/13/the-quest-trailer/
We Rangers should crash the set, or at least audition
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
ineffableone

Re: New reality show on ABC "The Quest"

Post by ineffableone »

I don't have any hope that this will be any good. Only thing I could see being a decent side effect is it might get some new interest into LARP.

Over all though I think this will be a huge failure.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I'm actually interested in seeing it if anything just to see it. If its good I may watch I generally hate reality tv save for two programs.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Face-Off and Jim Henson's Creature Workshop? Because those are my two reality TV vices, haha.

As far as this one goes though... heh, I dunno... could be fun. I mean, silly, schlocky, incredibly cheesy, and probably pretty awful in a lot of ways, but I think it might turn out to provide some amusing, light entertainment.

My biggest gripe with "Reality TV" shows is that they don't just refer to them as "extreme game-shows." Because that's all they are really. Nothing "reality" about them.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Manveruon wrote:Face-Off and Jim Henson's Creature Workshop? Because those are my two reality TV vices, haha.

As far as this one goes though... heh, I dunno... could be fun. I mean, silly, schlocky, incredibly cheesy, and probably pretty awful in a lot of ways, but I think it might turn out to provide some amusing, light entertainment.

My biggest gripe with "Reality TV" shows is that they don't just refer to them as "extreme game-shows." Because that's all they are really. Nothing "reality" about them.
Survivorman is pretty good. But the rest of those survival shows tend to be a bit cheese even though I do like the new guy Matt on Dual Survival it is hard to watch the show due to the guy he is paired with.

I do like Face Off. One of the few shows out there that is actually positive. They actually have the contestants helping each other and the judges pointing out how good the people they are sending home actually are. They don't have all the built up drama of interaction with each other or the sabotage of others in the competition. The opposite in fact, they have repeatedly helped others when it would have benefited them not to. For example one guy had to go to the hospital after a mold fell on his hand. The rest of the people all pitched in to do what they could on his project while he was gone so he would not have lost the entire day of work. That just is so amazing and telling of the integrity of the people on the show. They don't want to be beat by a technicality they want to compete against quality advisories who are their friends as well as competitor.

I agree that the game shows like Face Off, Dancing with the Stars, Ink Masters, and others should be categorized differently than other reality shows, they should be called game shows or something more related to the competition that they are. Survival shows should also be categorized differently, and called survival shows. But of course then what is a reality show? Jersey Shore? Real Housewives? There really isn't much reality to those shows. Even Real World sort of the start of the Reality TV craze has been slammed for not being real, and mostly scripted.

The big thing with this show The Quest is the obvious fantasy element means it is not reality. It is a very high production LARP from the previews and description with likely a game show element added to it. Which could be cool and fun if it was actually made by some geeks who knew the fantasy genre and if the participants were geeks who had a lot of LARP experience. But I don't get the impression it will have any of that. The people putting this out give me no expectation of it being decent.

Will I tune in and watch it? Likely I will at least check it out, more to see the outfits and weapons than to actually follow the drama. I also am interested in seeing the animatronics they mention and the sets. But I really don't expect much from the actual show. Of course that might be a good place to come from, they show will have to do little to improve upon my minimal expectations.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I admit I watch some reality TV but it has just reenforced my original philosophy which is,
"Reality TV is niether." :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Yeah,it is more "Game Show" than Reality show, that's why I thought we Rangers should crash the set and show them how its done. And Manveruon I am totality addicted to Face-Off, I watch it with my Daughter Heather. And Ringulf, my friend you are right, It is neither.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

TV whats that? :mrgreen:
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Arbellason wrote:TV whats that? :mrgreen:
Total Violence :P
Terminal Velocity :?:
Textured Vegetables :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I don't watch 'reality' shows generally speaking. The only sort I indulge in are those like 'I, Caveman', more experiment than competition. I watched some of the survivor shows..yeah, no thanks. The rest of it...so called American 'culture' is an excuse for some folk to feel better about themselves by looking down on others. No reality beyond that, in my opinion. I don't watch a lot of television anyway; too busy running about the forests, working the garden, crafting things, and generally living life for myself...no vicariously.

Having looked at this trailer..advertisement, whatever....I don't think this thing is going to get far.

Eledhwenn
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

ineffableone wrote:
Arbellason wrote:TV whats that? :mrgreen:
Total Violence :P
Terminal Velocity :?:
Textured Vegetables :mrgreen:
True Viking! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

No I watch Heroes of Cosplay and King of the Nerds. I'm actually auditioning for the latter but we'll see if I get a call. In the meantime I may indeed check out The Quest, if anything just because it seems like an original idea for a reality show....but I doubt they will speak in olde English
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Rifter wrote:No I watch Heroes of Cosplay and King of the Nerds. I'm actually auditioning for the latter but we'll see if I get a call. In the meantime I may indeed check out The Quest, if anything just because it seems like an original idea for a reality show....but I doubt they will speak in olde English
I have only caught a little of King of the Nerds and it was one of the few Nerd/geek shows I felt was not doing geeksploitation. That it was a genuine show by geek/nerds for them.

Heroes of Cosplay has gotten huge amounts of critique for exploiting the cosplay scene and misrepresenting it. I am not a cosplayer (other than dressing up like a Ranger and playing in the woods, so maybe I am but I don't go to cons), but have plenty of friends who are and go to cons regularly, and I think I agree with the critique of that show. They focus everything on the contests, which from my understanding is such a small and mostly unimportant part of cosplay that it completely misrepresents what cosplay is about. From my understanding the best cosplayers never even enter the contests, and see the contests as amateur appreciation a way to build up the esteem of the newbies. Also the contests are now so obviously influenced by the show itself, contests that never had a cash prize ever are suddenly having thousands of dollars given away to winners. And with the show's guru cosplayer, Yaya now being a judge on most of the contests, you see her influence with the judges, constantly suggesting the show's cast as possible winners. A tactic I think they started because in early episodes the cast was not winning anything hardly. Supposedly top cosplayers, who couldn't win competitions. I obvious watch the show some, it is like a train wreck and hard to turn away for me. I never intentionally tune in since the first episode, but when I come across it when surfing I often stop and watch the horror. I honestly feel cosplay is being set back years by this show, and it is doing more damage than good. Cosplay should be about fun and getting to dress up like the character's you love. It should be about sharing that with others who feel the same. It should not be about rushing to build the next costume for the next Con because you must win the contest to be considered a serious cosplayer.

LOL, sorry for the rant, geeksploitation sort of annoys me and Heroes of cosplay I feel is one of the worst as it is doing it on the turf of the geeks, at the cons.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I had the pleasure of meeting Holly and Jessica last year from HOC and they actually do civil war re enactment costumes too but the shows only want to cover the cons stuff. They appreciate the limelight on their skills and business but they are also very cautious with what they say and do in the show. They're great ladies and I see this season some of the others from last year are gone...probably because they were kind of witchish....which happens a lot of any type of group
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I hope this new tv show is a success, it looks really cool!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien