FISHING KIT

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

FISHING KIT

Post by RikJohnson »

Another project I am working on is a fishing kit.
I got started on this last night when I bought a bunch of arrows, a compound bow (that I gave away) and a blowgun target from a poor family (i figured that they needed the money and maybe I could salvage some of the arrows).

I am thus working on a fishing arrow and reel for my 42" short-bow and that led me to makign a Period fishing kit. I can forge the hooks and a gig but would like to see what you all have in your fishing kits!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Re: FISHING KIT

Post by RikJohnson »

I forged a few hooks. Made the bobbers form a wine cork.
The most difficult part was hoping that I got the temper right.
the brass rings and such are runners for a rod to be made on site. I did't make those.
next are weights and line.

this is my first effort at hooks so am still learning and fine tuning the things.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

My fishing kit is half made- for the time being, I'm using modern hooks, simply because I don't have the time (nor perhaps the fine motor skills) to make my own. I'll probably forego a pole and just cast a line out. My question is what kind of fishing line can I use to make 'authentic.' You can only go so far with 'magic Elvish line' while using modern plastic stuff.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I'm thinking of embroidery floss.
It's mostly cotton, small enough for line but strong enough to hold a decent fish.
the big problem is that it needs to be 'dried' between uses but I do that by squeezing the water out between thumb and finger as i coil it.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

This is taken from the earliest English fishing manual, (1496) A treatyse of fysshynge wyth an angle, which states the line be made from white horse tail hair, and be dyed according to the water you are fishing in. After the dyeing:

Code: Select all

Then take your hair and cut off from the small end a large handful or more, for it is neither strong nor yet sure.

Then turn the top to the tail each in equal amount, and divide it into three parts. Then plait each part at the one end by itself.

And at the other end plait all three together: and put this same end in the other end of your instrument, the end that has but one cleft. And make the other end tight with the wedge four fingers from the end of your hair.

Then twist each strand the same way and pull it tight: and fasten them in the three clefts equally well. Then take out that other end and twist it whichever way it goes best. Then stretch it a little and plait it so that it will not come undone: and that is good.

p.s. Here is a more readable version.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

...And St. Anselm lifted the Holy Handgrenade of Antioc on high saying Dear Lord we beseach Thee...
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

5 is right out...
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A quick way to nearly duplicate the handling characteristics and somewhat the look of old linen line is Fly line backing. I have gobs of it already, bubt it comes in 50-200 yard spools, so you could make half a dozen hand line sets from one purchase. I don't see a need for a pole in a ranger setting. Perhaps when interpreting the stoors/tooks...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I spent yesterday at the annual Contemporary Longrifle Association show yesterday (where I ran into forum members jbook and matthewf) and was very pleased to see an 'exhibition' of historic reproductions by some of the biggest names in the living-history circuit. This incredible collection of goods dubbed 'The Southern Traveler' included a wonderfully thought-out period fishing kit, of which I've included some photos. While based in a mid-1700s southern US setting, I don't think anything here would be inappropriate for Middle-earth fishing.
The kit consists of the following (counterclockwise, starting from top right):
a forged iron fish/frog gig head (the three tines measured perhaps 2.5 inches across, and the whole gig was perhaps 4 or 5 inches long),
a linen-wrapped rivercane case (contains 'floats' made by fitting the ends of two feathers together),
a small pouch of bone 'toggle hooks' and lead sinkers,
several iron fishhooks (hooked through a piece of leather)
and a hinged-lid horn box to contain the smaller items (3 by 4 inches?) (see second picture).
Inside the box are the fishing lines, which looked to made of hemp or natural linen cord, and wrapped around a lump of beeswax.
Attachments
SouthernTraveler - fishing kit PICT3949.jpg
SouthernTraveler - fishing kit PICT3949.jpg (208.33 KiB) Viewed 16648 times
SoTrav - fishing box2 PICT3952.jpg
SoTrav - fishing box2 PICT3952.jpg (201.7 KiB) Viewed 16648 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

I have a copy of "The Colonial Angler's Manual of Flyfishing and Flytying" by Ken Reinard. Although this is concerning the 18th century and flyfishing instead of general fishing, the author cites period treatises that advise the use of white horse tail hair. White horse hair was considered stronger than darker varieties. He recommends three strands of horsehair braided. The link of flyline closest to the tip of the rod is heavier, either nine, twelve or fifteen hairs, depending on the size fish sought. He advises against twisting and knotting into links as this has a tendency to unwind itself. If you use a leader, he recommends three strands or six strands for larger fish such as bass. The length of the line is recommended to be half the length of the rod.
He does note that period treatises mentioned getting the horse owner's permission before cutting the horse's tail and recommends that the owner do it themselves.
This is an interesting book for it goes into the construction of all equipment from rods to fly tying. Publisher is Fox Chapel Publishing Company, P.O. Box 7948, Lancaster, PA 17604-7948. Hope this is some help.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Udwin! Great stuff that! and Stormraven that book or exerps from it would be very enlightening, love to see it! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

If anyone is interested in titles for the original treatises - they are: "The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton; "A Treatyse of Fysshynge with an Angle", by Dame Juliana Berners; and "The Secrets of Angling" by John Dennys. Not sure how many of these are still available but you could check Amazon or ABE. Dame Juliana Berners wrote her treatise in the 15th century and also of note, wrote a poem concerning hunting during that period which was published in "The Book of St. Albans" in 1486. The Compleat Angler is 17th century as was also the Secrets of Angling.

Rods were generally made of cane and the common rule was that the rod was half the length of the stream the angler wished to fish. Reels were available in the 18th century and earlier but were not commonly used as they were considered to be a "poacher's device". Other rods were made from solid wood, commonly greenhart and were stained. Ferrules and fittings were made of brass and some lines were horsehair and braided silk. Bamboo rods date to 1845 among Americans and Europeans.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Stormraven wrote:.. "A Treatyse of Fysshynge with an Angle", by Dame Juliana Berners... .... Not sure how many of these are still available but you could check Amazon or ABE. Dame Juliana Berners wrote her treatise in the 15th century and also of note, wrote a poem concerning hunting during that period which was published in "The Book of St. Albans" in 1486.....

I posted a couple links to the Treatysse above. The first link is to a facsimile edition of the original, the second link, has been regularized to modern English spelling.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

<original post lost>

>>I'm using modern hooks, simply because I don't have the time (nor perhaps the fine motor skills) to make my own.

I'm thinking of two kits. My Period kit to test BUT... what if it fails? What if the hooks snap or are too big or????
So although I will take and try to use my Period kit, I will have a back-up modern set of hooks and line just-in-case so I don't starve if the Period kit fails.

BTW, walking the dog this am revealed a barrel cactus with what we call 'fish-hook thorns'. These are cactus thorns that curve back as if they were fishhooks.
I will clip a few tomorrow, steam and increase the curve to see if they really CAN be fish-hooks!

Making gear on-the-spot in-the-field saves the effort of hauling all that stuff around.