Need some help

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Need some help

Post by Arbellason »

Ok well the tunic and pants I ordered are not to my needs and liking so I returned them and now I am stuck with a small problem. I need to some preferably wool pants and a tunic. I could make the pants as I have a larger blackish wool blanket and access to industrial sewing machines or a simple foot crank one from the 1920s I just need to know where to get dye to dye it dark green or brown and a set of plans for simple ones as I have almost no experience in sewing. The tunic I think I'm just going to order but I can not find any good wool ones :(. I think I am going to make the cloak same with the pants though I'd need to know what dye to use and I do believe there is a post on making one so I'll go visit that.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Need some help

Post by Ringulf »

There are the wool viking tunics that are on alot of the sites Kult of Athena and museum replicas but to name a few, they come in grey and light coffee brown. The grey would dye pretty well with the green rit dye. Make sure you see the instructions for wool and get it in the size to allow for some shrinkage.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It may be a bit of a challenge to get a 'black-ish' blanket dyed green...dark colors usually don't dye well.

I'd suggest you run over to your local Army surplus store, and snag (for usually about $20 apiece) a green blanket, and possibly a grey and brown one as well, if they have them...green is most common to find.

Getting these pre-dyed blankets will set you up to more easily make your clothing without having to worry about dye early on...you can always darken any of them with a variety of dyes, such as walnuts (a trick which is becoming increasingly common here on the boards.)

You might just want to keep your black blanket black, and use it, well...as a blanket! Who knows?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Unfortunately we have no surplus stores near us and green blankets of that type would be almost rare around here as my dad has bought up nearly every wool military blanket and would kick me out at the very thought of cutting up one of his blankets. That black one actually would make a good blanket for the pack when I look at it. Black would be nice for the night to hide from those that prowl. I forgot about the link I think Taurinor had on a thread so a tunic is taken care of. Unless any one has a good link for wool pants to fit a 28" waist I might be buying a blanket on ebay.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

If you're ok with using modern pants, these might work for you: http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/m19 ... pants.html

If you wanted, you could sew the pockets shut and replace the fly, but under a tunic none of that would be visible.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well it's either spend 40 on wool and materials or $109 for these http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-9 ... -1256.html I thought about it for a bit and I am debating whether to attempt my own and possibly mess up and end up spending another $40 or just spending the 109 for a pair of these.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

That is going to be a very personal decision. Personally, I really enjoy making things myself. It usually involves a lot of time and swearing, but for me, it's worth it. My fiancé does not understand it at all, and wishes I would just leave making things to professionals. To each their own. From what I understand, HE makes good stuff.

If you do decide to make them yourself, please please please make a mock-up before cutting your final garment fabric. If you have a fabric store nearby, you can buy some cheap muslin to try it out with. If not, you could go to a hardware store and buy a canvas drop cloth and use that. That might be better, because you could get a blanket sized drop cloth and figure out how to cut out the pieces. Canvas will also behave a little more like wool than a thin cotton.

I know you said you have access to a sewing machine, but if you want to try hand sewing, this is a good guide - http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.ph ... 554.0.html
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I would think blanket wool would be overly thick / scratchy for trousers?

Anyhow, almost always I'd say just make 'em. That particular pattern might be a little tricky though if you're new to sewing, and in your place if I had the funds I'd consider buying the pants and sewing an easy tunic or hood first - that gets you in the woods that much faster, and it gives you a good example to copy.

Also, Ive never bought clothing from Historic Enterprises, but everything I have bought from them is well made. There really is nothing like 100% hand sewn, but perfection is too often enemy of the good when you're just getting started.

For sewing, Google up Wm Booth Draper, as well as Burnley & Trowbridge. Both have an 18th c. focus, but tend to carry really nice wools... much comfier than army blankets. :) Also, they carry period linen thread. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

This is from past experience, don't use a blanket for pants.
You can't take the sky from me.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

wulfgar wrote:This is from past experience, don't use a blanket for pants.
Now I'm morbidly curious. What happened?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Been wearing pants made from one during the winter for two seasons now...haven't had any issues. What happened?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

When funds come in I'll be buying some good quality wool and period thread. I think I'll use the 1920's sewing machine as it depends on how fast my feet move and is liable to be the closest thing to hand sewed next to actually hand sewing. But as of this winter everything kit wise is being put on hold as I have to save up and prepare myself for a geology major and math classes like you wouldn't believe.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

When I was doing the mountain man thing, I made a pair of pants out of a Pendleton throw blanket that I had picked up as a second at the factory in Oregon. They were excessively hot in the summers, and the wool was just to heavy, resulting in a lot of uncomfortable chafing. Now, I use lighter wool fabrics and never have an issue. I have always found clothing made out of blankets to be uncomfortable, IMHO a blanket is a blanket and about the only thing I would make out of one now is a cloak,,,but I still prefer using fabric for those too.
Just my two cents.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.. Greg, perhaps you had a lighter weight blanket? Certainly there's been no shortage of countries making blankets in the last hundred years - we could be thinking of different things.

My memory of army surplus blankets at gramma's house is that they were too thin to work well as blankets, too stiff to cut into garments other than capote/cloaks, and scratchy as heck to boot. ( I was allergic to wool until I actually got my hands on nice wool fabric years later as a grownup!)

I did find a nice-but-stained white civilian blanket in a thrift store once that come to think of it was thin enough it might have made a decent - if HOT - overtunic of some kind.

Finally, Arbellason- an older treadle type sewing machine makes the same kind of stitch as a modern sewing machine - just a little harder to learn, since you're having to keep rhythm with your feet at the same time as you move fabric with your hands. Hand stitching looks different from either... its a little stronger to, but as million of jeans dead from blown out knees and crotch fabric instead of blown seams attest, not enough to matter.

Cant wait to see pics! (and good luck at school)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

The Pendelton lap blankets are pretty thin. Also like you said, wool fabric is much softer, and less scratchy.