Outfit updates WIP

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Outfit updates WIP

Post by Ursus »

Prepare for picture barrage! Its hard to see in any of the pics but my quiver is held by a two point suspension much like Legolas in the films. I apologize in advance for the photos not going in any kind of order or not being overly descriptive. I'll try to caption more as I go.
Attachments
I decided to make to small slits in my cloak to make carrying my bedroll and quiver easier.
I decided to make to small slits in my cloak to make carrying my bedroll and quiver easier.
cloakbedroll.jpg (174.79 KiB) Viewed 15509 times
Second layer with gloves, bracers and jerkin added
Second layer with gloves, bracers and jerkin added
0137bab4ff5b1aaa50fa5256f9c458b985442bb0cf.jpg (248.65 KiB) Viewed 15509 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Outfit updates WIP

Post by Ursus »

My fire starting kit is standard, the striker was made in my own forge. I recently decided I was tired of having things stowed in loose cloth bags as they do not store well and are difficult to access if needed quickly. What I came up with is similar to what my sewing kit is stored in which is a simple open topped leather case with compartments stitched in. I find this allows for the gear in my pouch to stack better and allow for more room.
My water bag started life as a heavy plastic water storage container for prepping. I then sewed leather panels around it and used the brass mouthpiece off my old water bag. It will hold 2 liters.
Attachments
firekit.jpg
firekit.jpg (155.57 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
sewingkit.jpg
sewingkit.jpg (191.79 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
waterbag is made from a 2 liter water storage bag with leather hand stitched around it and a turned brass mouthpiece
waterbag is made from a 2 liter water storage bag with leather hand stitched around it and a turned brass mouthpiece
waterbag.jpg (162.56 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

My med kit has two types of all natural salve. One is for deep wounds and has already proven useful and does accelerate healing in deep cuts. The other salve is all natural as well and is used for lighter cuts or burns. Also there is a small bottle of iodine. I carry a packet of suture needles and silk thread and am trained in there use. My bandages are standard linen torn from an old bed sheet and get bleached before each trek.
My ration bag attaches to either my belt or quiver and carries the better part of my food.(trail bread, jerky, parched corn etc.) much the time Im on the trail for 2-4 days at a time so I also often throw a burlap bag loaded with fruits and veggies over my shoulder. Salt, spices and such are stored in my corn boiler in my bed roll.
My fishing kit holds a waxed linen line 8 small forged hooks, a bobber, and some lead weights and is stored in my pouch at all times. Ive had many a meal of fish baked in clay as a result of this handy little kit.
Attachments
my med kit has various wound salves, suture needles and silk thread, linen bandages.
my med kit has various wound salves, suture needles and silk thread, linen bandages.
medkit.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
a simple leather bag that I wear on my belt that carries the bulk of my trail rations
a simple leather bag that I wear on my belt that carries the bulk of my trail rations
foodbag.jpg (132.24 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
my fishing kit
my fishing kit
fishing kit.jpg (142.23 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

In my pouch I also carry a number of iron broadheads to repair or make more arrows if need be.
The pommel of my dirk bears a star similar that the of the dunedain.
My hawk is a Cold Steel Norse Hawk on which I cut down the socket to make it swifter and less modern looking.
My fighting dirk is a Windlass Primitive Scottish dirk that I wedged and peened and also heavily antiqued the blade and furniture. I hand filed notches on to the back to help catch blades while parrying. Also it makes a handy draw knife if the need to work wood arises.
Attachments
spare heads
spare heads
arrowheads.jpg (166.92 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
a dirk fit for the dunedain?
a dirk fit for the dunedain?
dirkstar2.jpg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Modified cold steel norse hawk and windlass primitive dirk
Modified cold steel norse hawk and windlass primitive dirk
hawkdirk3.jpg (184.03 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Here I am in a simple but classic Vom Tag pose, prepared to receive the enemy. I can never say enough about my sword, which was custom made for me by John Lundemo of Odinblades. The blade is 5160h marquenched steel and is chisel hard at the edges. The guard and pommel are solid bronze. The grip was done by me and is shark skin over a grooved wood core. after the shark skin was wet molded over the core I wound hand braided bronze wire into the grooves, reassembled the sword and peened it. I named it Cadeyrn which is Welsh/Cymry for Battle King. It is my second love after my wife of course.
Second: ambush prep, ever had a 6'9 ranger come running out of the tree line at you?
Third:Hawk and knife out ready to do some close quarter work
Attachments
getready.jpg
getready.jpg (195.93 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
ambush.jpg
ambush.jpg (189.73 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
closecombat.jpg
closecombat.jpg (185.4 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

My bow is a genuine English warbow and pulls 120 lbs at my 32 inch draw. On long treks I carry a shorter version of this that pulls around 70 lbs but the warbow is my baby and gets shot weekly and carried when practical.
Attachments
Just keeping an eye on things...
Just keeping an eye on things...
watching.jpg (135.16 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
stalking2.jpg
stalking2.jpg (164.32 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
The sword glows!
The sword glows!
sworddraw.jpg (175.94 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

My sword is carried in a simple but effective frog. The scabbard was made by me using the slat method over which I stitched the leather covering, it was then dyed a mahogany first and then a dark red over that, after which I buffed it with a piece of fine steel wool to age it. I also made a simple brass chape for the end.
My jerkin houses a hold out knife where the front slit ends by my left knee. Another pocket up by my left armpit houses a garrote wire.
Attachments
simple rustic sword frog and a close up of part of my jerkin
simple rustic sword frog and a close up of part of my jerkin
frog.jpg (137.32 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
hold out knife sewn into my jerkin down by my left knee
hold out knife sewn into my jerkin down by my left knee
holdoutknife.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
traking.jpg
traking.jpg (178.07 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

My camp knife attaches to the side of my pouch and is one Ive carried since childhood. It was made by Jack Hubbard.
My scabbard for my hawk is worn directly on my belt and is made from some old raw hide.
Attachments
small knife made by Jack Hubbard
small knife made by Jack Hubbard
pouchknife.jpg (139.96 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
belt scabbard for my hawk
belt scabbard for my hawk
pouchhawk.jpg (218.44 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

my open bedroll contents include a small copper boiler, change of shirt, lye soap, hemp twine and some leather for repairs. Also would normally have a few spare rations and spare mocs.
Second pic just shows my open belt pouch with everything stowed neatly and easy to find.
Attachments
bedrollcontents.jpg
bedrollcontents.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
openpouch.jpg
openpouch.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 15508 times

Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

That's a very nice kit. Good job :)
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Wow! Great kit and you look every bit the Middle-Earth Ranger in these photos.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Excellent gear and breakdown, Brett!
Couple of questions: what is your cloak made from? It looks pretty lightweight but has a cool texture that 'reads' as heavier.
How does the water skin wear when carried while full? I expect a couple liters on a narrow strap like that would cut into one's shoulder after a while.
And of course, I'm curious what kind of vittles you're carrying in your food-bag.
I love the colour scheme of the whole assemblage - nice and subdued to blend into the woodland shadows.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Udwin wrote:Excellent gear and breakdown, Brett!
Couple of questions: what is your cloak made from? It looks pretty lightweight but has a cool texture that 'reads' as heavier.
How does the water skin wear when carried while full? I expect a couple liters on a narrow strap like that would cut into one's shoulder after a while.
And of course, I'm curious what kind of vittles you're carrying in your food-bag.
I love the colour scheme of the whole assemblage - nice and subdued to blend into the woodland shadows.
Thank you for the kind words Udwin. My cloak is wool and the body is one piece and made from a green survival blanket that I boiled in homemade walnut dye the fabric is a thinner fabric but is very warm, even in deep winter. It is a beautiful green/brown color. A broader strap is actually being put on the water bag as we speak and actually carries pretty well. I usually carry it about mid way between my armpit and waist. If rationed properly it lasts me for the better part of several days before I have to purify more.
My food carry always changes. You can always count on me to have parched corn,jerky, and trail bread. I also carry dried fruits and chocolate, often times Im also carrying salt pork and dried cheese as well.
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Two more that I forgot.

last is my sharpening kit. A half a whetstone, bottle of oil and leather polishing cloth.

Can you spot the ranger? This is just to show how well everything blends, Im not really trying to hide but am just standing in the tree line, put some foliage in the way and I think Id vanish(or hope rather)
Attachments
swordkit.jpg
swordkit.jpg (153.55 KiB) Viewed 15490 times
camo.jpg
camo.jpg (211.74 KiB) Viewed 15490 times

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What excellent pics! I love breakdown shots, and your kit, gear and garb look outstanding, Ranger! You've really set the bar here.

This quote reminds me of you:

‘They are a strange company, these newcomers,’ said Gimli. ‘Stout men and lordly they are, and the Riders of Rohan look almost as boys beside them; for they are grim men of face, worn like weathered rocks for the most part, even as Aragorn himself; and they are silent.’

Way to represent, Ranger :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"