An interesting find

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

An interesting find

Post by Arbellason »

Now I can't seem to find the clip from the show I was watching a few days ago but it was a armor design from china. It is made of paper and various glues and resins resulting in a cheap, effective and light weight armor. I think we as rangers could adapt this design to make a very deadly combination.

http://historum.com/war-military-histor ... armor.html
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Yavion

Re: An interesting find

Post by Yavion »

It makes sense. It's basically the medieval equivalent of fiber armor. Like glass, carbon, or hardened Kevlar.

You could make a clay form, layer in your paper and cloth with tree resin that's been thinned with distilled alcohol (testing your mix beforehand while wearing the proper safety gear of course).

If I had the resources I'd want to try it myself.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Yavion wrote:It makes sense. It's basically the medieval equivalent of fiber armor. Like glass, carbon, or hardened Kevlar.

You could make a clay form, layer in your paper and cloth with tree resin that's been thinned with distilled alcohol (testing your mix beforehand while wearing the proper safety gear of course).

If I had the resources I'd want to try it myself.

The technique is making it in lamellar style. With lots of little section overlapping like scales. It is quite effective against arrows and swords but much lighter than steel.

Mythbusters did an episode on it, which is preventing me from finding results for the test I had seen before. Mythbusters in typical fashion didn't go full on with their paper armor, so getting it wet and extended battle caused theirs to disintegrate. But the real deal is coated with a water proofing and is much more resilient than the one Mythbusters tested.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Just watch out for the orc with the flamethrower, you will be running like Treebeard in a drought! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

The Mythbusters armor was made of mulberry paper and performed as well as the metal.
You can't take the sky from me.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

I was watching ancient discoveries (an awesome show) and they tested it against a period crossbow and it stopped it. It really just involves folding and coating thick paper squares with resin then sewing them together with linen thread. If I can find the right paper I'm going to attempt this to make some for putting under a shirt for a hidden surprise as the orcs head rolls around.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

There is also another style of armor, worn by the ancient Greeks, called the Linothorax, which is somewhat similar in concept, only made of linen. I heard a segment about it on NPR a few weeks ago, and apparently there is a lot of interesting research being done on it just now. Here's a fascinating page about it:
http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

This is really interesting. My head is already spinning trying to find ways to adapt this to a medieval style as something that rangers could have worn, perhaps as a jerkin instead of leather. With all the glue holding the linen together, would this really be any more breathable/comfortable to wear?
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

I don't know about comfort or breath ability the main reason for it's use is it's amazing quality of absorbing arrows and blows while being lighter than plate and probably the same as an equivalent leather armor but much cheaper.