Need advice ASAP

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Need advice ASAP

Post by Arbellason »

There is a steal of a deal on a Dark sword Armory Migration Era Viking sword for about 300-400 under it's normal price. The only snag is that it has a slight twist in the blade at the top. I am wondering if this would pose any major problems. The twist isn't extremely severe at least it doesn't look like it but I need some advice before I snatch it up as my first quality sword for my kit.
Attachments
DSA1328BKxxx_01_5_l.jpg
DSA1328BKxxx_01_5_l.jpg (245.27 KiB) Viewed 12219 times
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Re: Need advice ASAP

Post by grimwulf »

i know a slight twist can sometimes be fixed with out re-heating , over at the SBG forum years ago they had a tutorial on ways to try and fix it. i believe the only issue would be if you were using the sword for cutting,the twist in the blade would make it hard to get a good clean cut.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

For only $150 though for a sword which has ceased to be made which was normally 400-500$ would it be worth it even with this slight twist. I might or might not be using it to cut, like I said it's one for the kit so it must be functional and look the part. Darksword has quality 400-500$ blades as my brother has a darksword Bastard sword and it is a very nice blade.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

grimwulf wrote:i know a slight twist can sometimes be fixed with out re-heating , over at the SBG forum years ago they had a tutorial on ways to try and fix it. i believe the only issue would be if you were using the sword for cutting,the twist in the blade would make it hard to get a good clean cut.
Yes edge alignment would be difficult with a twist like that.

If your not going to cut with it, then it is a good deal. If you want a functional sword that you can cut with, then don't get it.

As for trying to fix it.

If it were an easy fix, the company would fix and sell it for regular price. Don't expect to be able to fix it. While you might be able to mellow the twist some, it will likely never fully go away, and likely want to go back to that twist.

Oh it should be mentioned that that twist will likely end up giving it problems with the sheath as well. Drawing and sheathing the sword will likely have some rubbing issues. and It is likely to dull the edge, and you will have to have extra space in the sheath to accommodate the twist meaning you will end up with a pronounced rattle.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Thanks for the advice I will refrain from buying it and spend that money elsewhere in the kit.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

ineffableone,
Good advice man! way to jump in and help a Brother out! Very sound. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Ringulf wrote:ineffableone,
Good advice man! way to jump in and help a Brother out! Very sound. :mrgreen:
:P Thanks.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

From where I'm sitting, the twist in the blade may not be bad enough to affect your cutting.
A decent smith could straighten it out for you.
I'm thinking that if you get or make a rigid wooden scabbard for it, it might stick in the scabbard.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.