Some of my latest work

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Some of my latest work

Post by Eric C »

Hi from the missing mod. It's been a while since I've posted anything. Maybe I'll get the patience to give you the full story about what I have been up to over the past few years. Considering most people will fall asleep, or run screaming from their computers while reading those events, maybe I won't. :lol:

Anyway, at the urging of a friend (Greg), I'm easing back in to one of the things I loved before everything fell apart - this forum. Here are a few pics of some of my latest work. It is far from finished and is a bit of a departure from my other work. I actually started it when I first started smithing. I threw it aside when I didn't have the skill to finish it. Recently I was cleaning the forge and gathering up scrap steel and I found it all rusted up but with the tip forged in. Since it was already the shape I wanted, I ground in the edges so as not to widen the blade any further. Also this is the first serious attempt I've made at a fuller. There are some goofs with the fuller that I most likely won't be able to correct, but overall I think it will look good. Also, this project is somewhat spoken for, but the potential buyer is already focusing on another project of mine. With no further ado, I'll post the not-so-great pics.

The fuller on one side:

The opposite side:

The best pic I could get of the edge:

This little lady doesn't like to cooperate with my camera. I'm going to have to break down and build a light box for my blades. Now for a few stats:

Current overall length: 21" It will most likely lose an inch or two on the tang by completion
Blade length: 13 3/8"
Blade width: 1 1/2" right in front of ricasso

I'm thinking this is of Gondorian descent.

This is not made from my usual circular saw steel. This is the remnants of a piece of 1/4" 1095 steel that I bought a long time ago. It still has a long way to go. I'm not certain what I'll use for fittings yet.

Edit: All of the pics are the same.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Some of my latest work

Post by Eric C »

Well, anyway, the two sides look identical in the photos but they aren't. Sorry about the quality. I'll see if there is anything I can do to get better pics tomorrow.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Looks great! What's the blade thickness like at this point?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

well done
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. It has turned out nicely considering how it sat up for so long.
Kortoso wrote:Looks great! What's the blade thickness like at this point?
I will check it out and give you an answer after work today. I think there is still a considerable amount that could be removed from the tip. It's still pretty thick.

I was going to file the profile flat, but I went with a convex grind on it instead. I'm wondering if the convex is a little too drastic though and needs to be thinned down some. Thoughts? I know, the pic quality leaves much to be desired when answering a question like that.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It has been a bit since we heard from you last, somewhere around the helmet project, I hope you are well, it sounds like a bit of "life happened" Let me know if there is anything we can "lift up" for you my Brother!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Nice. Glad to see you picking up the work and giving it another try.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks for the fresh welcome brethren. Indeed life has happened. I'll have to write a post over at the Inn once I can collect my thoughts. I wish it was a happy story, but it isn't. Orcs abound is about the best way to describe it. We're not out of it yet either.

The tip is .246" in front of the fullers. So yeah, it needs to be thinned down and given some distal taper before I continue with the fullers. I'm thinking that by thinning the blade, some of the fuller problems may disappear.

But this project has to wait a little while as I need to take tonight and run some tests on my gas forge for bronze casting.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

This piece has "Eket" written all over it.

I know the jury's still out on fittings, but I think I've got just enough left of a block of wenge lying around if you're looking for some exotic handle material.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Wenge may do the trick. I'm not certain what I will use yet. I have a piece of iron wood that Pete R. sent me a few years ago. I've been waiting for just the right project to come along. I may use that on one of my own though..... Hmm, that makes me think about another little knife I'm working on for myself.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Looking great, Eric, and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished result! I am sorry to hear about the orcs, we had our share as well, but in the end, the Shadow is but a passing thing. Your brothers and sisters are here for you, Ranger.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I love the shape of the blade, much better than any work I could do. Glad to hear from you, and my sympathies to hearing of life taking an ill turn.
Welcome back!!!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:This piece has "Eket" written all over it.

I know the jury's still out on fittings, but I think I've got just enough left of a block of wenge lying around if you're looking for some exotic handle material.
Yes I was thinking the very same thing!

Eket FTW! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'll throw that Wenge in the mail this week.

If your buyer's looking more closely at something else...what happens to this one?

If it's up for grabs...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:I'll throw that Wenge in the mail this week.

If your buyer's looking more closely at something else...what happens to this one?

If it's up for grabs...
It's still a little ways out since the other piece has to be ready before Christmas. With bad weather headed this way for tonight and tomorrow and two consecutive nights of little sleep and even less rest, I thought it would be a good thing to leave fires, grinders and sharp objects alone when I got home today.

But yeah, if the buyer decides he doesn't want this one, it will go up for grabs. There is also the possibility that I can make another one after this one is done. As usual, it wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would be equally good, if not better, having made one already.

With the buyer's permission, perhaps I'll post the other project here as well. It's over on my forge page on FB (Ichthean Forge for any who are interested.... NO, I'm not trying to drum up business! :P )

PM me if you need my address, Greg. Also, we can discuss a project similar to this one. I may have some surprises up my sleeve that I'm not ready to reveal to the general public yet. :twisted: