Ranger base layer

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Ranger base layer

Post by Kortoso »

My next project is to put together a regular Ranger outfit, one that is reasonably true to the Lore, but also practical for wilderness adventuring.

I do have an array of authentic medieval (mostly Anglo-Saxon/Viking) garb, FWIW.

I know that keeping a layer of cotton or linen next to the skin is of little wisdom, since if you get wet through sweat or rain, it stays wet and doesn't keep you warm.

Of course, modern outdoorsmen use synthetics, but let's try not to go there...

Wool is normally very itchy, but I am familiar with the brand SmartWool, which doesn't feel itchy at all. It's made from Merino wool and is probably an acrylic blend. It might be worth looking for such a fabric.

But what of silk? It's warm, not scratchy. I've seen "silk noil" for sale, is that any good for a base layer?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Ranger base layer

Post by Rifter »

My kit is pretty simple, it's a raw silk. silk noil shirt and black velvet trousers, I really just wear a suede jerkin and belt and such over it. I do like to see the layers people put into their garb, like the Rangers of Gondor.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Linen does dry slightly better than cotton, and doesn't hold moisture to the body as badly, from what I understand.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Linen is fine. It wicks more than holds and it is naturally anti-fungal in nature. It is what I use, under wool in the Winter, alone in the Summers. Never a problem have I had with it.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I prefer linen too. Silk is good too, they make modern base layers out of it. The reason silk was so prized in ancient times is because it doesn't hold lice.
You can't take the sky from me.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

i go with linen under wool as well. tho i have to say i just got a pair of hemp yoga pants of ebay, come on no laughing, lol they look and fit like pajama style pants i had to get a size bigger than normal may have to go two ill know after i dye them a darker brown.
heres the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161023386401?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

for Anduin Woodman, I usually wear a wool (in differing weights depending on season) tunic by itself, but in cold cold weather I'll layer it over either a linen longsleeved tunic or a thin wool kyrtle.
for hobbitry, I always wear a linen trade shirt (or two, if it's chilly) under my weskit, and a wool jacket over that.
for Arnorian dunadan, depending on season I'll wear either a linen tunic or wool kyrtle, or both. (Still need to come up with a proper sturdy outer garment)

Silk would be appropriate for Elf or hobbits (although in the latter case I would argue for raw silk)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.