new swords from ronin katana

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

grimwulf
Dúnadan

new swords from ronin katana

Post by grimwulf »

http://www.roninkatana.com/RK-european-swords.html
well ronin katana has a new Euro line, i plan to get at least one if not a few in time. i like the look of #2,3,4,and 5 .
i am thinking 4 will be the one i try out first. says they have the same hex nut assembly as Tinker line or valiant /gus trim line so should be nice and easy to customize.
i am liking this line mainly because of the size of the swords.all around 32-33 inch blades with 7 inch grips is just about my perfect length that I'm most comfortable using. being 5'9" i tend to find that blades over 33-34 inches look and feel way to long when I'm walking around with it on my belt and seems to hit everything with the end of scabbard.
for me this line has great promise as long as they are made as well as there katanas(which i have only herd good things about , tho i own none.)
i pry won't be able to pick one up till a month or two into the new year, when i do i will put up a review.
if anyone decides to try one out let us know what you think.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: new swords from ronin katana

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks for the link! I like the look of #3 alot. I feel the same about sword lengths. Generally I like a shorter blade, a longer one for my height and reach is just too unwieldy and frankly I don't have the skill for a sword of that length.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

Funny I was going to mention these swords, good to see them already posted.

Always nice to see more options for swords. Ronin venturing into the Euro market is great. The Euro sword choices is so small, so nice to have another option to choose from.

I am also glad they seem to have worked out the issue of fittings that matched Valiant Armory. Sonny from VA had a pretty strong rant on SBG about it. Though latter did tone things down. Seems someone thought they would make an extra buck by selling VA's fittings to someone else. Not really Ronin fault and Chris from Ronin did investigate the similar fittings and make some changes.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice items, I'm still looking to have Fable Blades craft my new blade
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I like the look of #4, for a friend of mine. None of them really fit me, but then again, I'm already equipped. Nice little selection, though!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Good looking blades, they look practical.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

I'm really digging the look of #6, if only it had a fuller.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

i think lines like this and the tinker line by hanwei are great for those who like to custom there own swords . i love to custom everything i get so it will never look like one some one else has.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

I feel the same way when it comes to most things, Grimwulf. It would be nice to see color variants of leather for these blades, an option most crafters don't seem to initially make, without a customer inquiring about it. That's truly the only thing I would've liked change about my DSA Ranger sword. At the time I orderred it Darksword ceased to take custom requests and shortly after quit offering The Ranger sword.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Eothain wrote:I'm really digging the look of #6, if only it had a fuller.
Look at #4 it is almost the same thing but with a fuller.

RK Euro#4
Two hander. Single fuller

Length:
Blade 32.75 inches
Handle 7 inches
Sheathed 44 inches

Blade width 1.6 inches
Weight 2.4 pounds

vs

RK # 6
Two hander. No fuller. Scent stopper pommel

Length:
Blade 33 inches
Handle 7 inches
Sheathed 45 inches

Blade width 1.65 inches
Weight 2.3
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

I'm honestly not a big fan of #4's guard. I was just commenting on it though, I'm not looking to buy one or anything.