The Mystery Singing Fantaseax

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

The Mystery Singing Fantaseax

Post by Eric C »

This is a blade that I forged out a couple of years ago and laid aside. This past summer I picked it up again and went to work removing all of the collected rust. Once I got underway with it again, two guys actually came forward as potential buyers. That's good.... and bad. Somebody will get disappointed in that scenario.

As I worked on this blade, it came time to run it through some thermal cycles. I normalized it three times. Upon the first normalizing run, I set it aside on a fire brick and went to work on another project. I started hearing a humming noise. After a couple of minutes of searching around, I realized it was the blade singing to me! It did this each of the three times that I normalized. I'm guessing it developed some harmonics as it lay upon the firebrick. But the strangeness didn't stop there. When I heat treated it, the blade took a negative sori, or curved downward. As I looked at the resulting shape, I decided it looked like a talon, pretty cool! When it came to the fittings, I ended up putting the blade aside until I could figure out what to do. That's when one of the two potential buyers asked if the blade was still available. He wanted it before Christmas. While it is finished and on its way, we will see if he gets it before the big day.

Anyway, here are some of the process pics along with the finished product.

After heat treat/temper:

Along with three other blades that I was working on:

The prospective fittings. These didn't work out:

The fittings that actually made it into final production:

Everything being epoxied up:

A couple of the finished product:

Now for some stats:

The knife is hand forged from my usual saw steel
The handle is stained maple burl
Fittings are mild steel
Overall length:~15"
Blade length: 9 3/4"
Blade width: 1 3/16" at its widest point
Thickness: ~ 1/8"
Weight: 10 oz

For those of you who don't know me, I don't make any claims that my seaxes are historically accurate. But everyone seems to like them and I enjoy making them. There will be another one in the works soon where I will try to use the original fittings.

I will save any further comments for the recipient of this one. Also, I've started a Youtube page where I am posting my work. In one of the videos that I have yet to post, I am giving a shout out to the forum.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: The Mystery Singing Fantaseax

Post by Ringulf »

Oh My! You have done it again my friend! Quite a lovely peice! :mrgreen:

...I had Fantaseax once....

But really for this time of year we need to create a...Santaseax! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks Ringulf. This was a fun project to work on. Now that I am getting to the forge again, I will pick up our collaboration once more. That is as long as the weather doesn't turn too bad. It was snowing and sleeting while I was shooting video today.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Eric, I assume that the green fittings are wax, to be cast later?
In that case, it looks like you did the inletting (ie, cutting away so it fits over the blade) in the wax, first, before you cast it in metal. I've never done this, so I am wondering, does that work okay? It's gotta be helpful to see the fittings in place before you cast them.

Kudos, BTW!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Kortoso wrote:Eric, I assume that the green fittings are wax, to be cast later?
In that case, it looks like you did the inletting (ie, cutting away so it fits over the blade) in the wax, first, before you cast it in metal. I've never done this, so I am wondering, does that work okay? It's gotta be helpful to see the fittings in place before you cast them.

Kudos, BTW!
Yes, they are wax for casting later. I wasn't getting the bronze hot enough with my current forge set-up to pour it. Either that or I wasn't letting it heat long enough. Either way I am going to be doing something different for a bronze melting forge and I'll give it another try before too long.

It is nice to see the pieces in place and get an idea how they will fit with the whole work before you actually cast them.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Turned out very well Eric, and it's interesting that the blade was "singing" to you!
I'm sure the buyer is extremely excited and can't wait to hold this great craft!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Considering that I never knew what this blade was going to do next, it was kind of exciting to work on.

Now that I am doing videos on Youtube, I should do one in ranger garb.... well, mostly as I'm not willing to sacrifice safety in the forge for a good video.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I don't believe I have seen those videos Eric do you have some links so we can find them? :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote:I don't believe I have seen those videos Eric do you have some links so we can find them? :mrgreen:
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDFPnJ ... 58mDT_hoLA In the longest video - which I will try again to upload tonight - I gave a shout out to the forums here. 8)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Great work! Looks very clean!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks Greg!