Eating utensils

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Eating utensils

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

What does everyone use for eating in the field? Medieval spoon/fork sets? Knives and horn spoons? And what do you carry them in? I have a set I picked up from World Market a while back, stainless steel and blackened with twisted tips. I want to make a carrying case for them and was wondering what other Rangers use. Feel free to post pics!

Ken

Edit

Something akin to concepts from the Hobbit that weren't used, such as this, bottom left, Thorin's mess kit.

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Eating utensils

Post by Rifter »

I use a set of medieval cutlery purchased from kult of athena but I don't take any of those with me when I trek. I use a knife and peel food when needed with it.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I use a knife and a pewter (modern and lead-free) spoon. I could have used wood, but I find it a little harder to clean, and you have to be careful with horn spoons and heat. Knife goes on my belt, and the spoon gets tossed in my scrip with my bowl.

Something that could be neat to do would be to make a leather case for your set, like this - http://leatherworkbywilliam.com/product ... ?item_id=7

That one just holds a spoon, but I bet you could mold a case to fit a set instead.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Yes, that is exactly what I mean! Thanks for the link, Taurinor! There is a fun little winter project!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

It is such a shame that those artifacts never made it onto the screen in PJ's Hobbit trilogy! I would've loved to have seen them in the hands of Thorin's Company at some point.

Anyway, my leather food-bag contains (in addition to my individual drawstring bags of food) a wooden spoon (of my own carving)--which I use in conjunction with my belt knife--and a turned wooden bowl (of 'Gondorian' make). (I also have a pewter spoon I can swap out if needed.) I wouldn't be opposed to a simple forged fork, especially for hobbit-y adventures. They were in Bilbo's pantry, and Sam carried a two-pronged one in his cooking gear.
If I ever get my materials from MF, I'll have a honey-horn and a case for carrying tea-making herbs to round off my eating gear. Which will necessitate a photo-show-off-post!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I have a wooden bowl, wooden cup, and horn spoon, but I don't normally carry it on patrol because it clanks and gives away my position.

I get a lot of my stuff from Jas Townsend and Son, Inc.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

You can make a simple fork from a twisted piece of wire. You can use a clothes hanger, just burn off the coating first.
http://www.nwta.com/couriers/11-96/forks.html
You can't take the sky from me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Mirimaran, that's funny, I have that exact utensil set from World Market. Got it a couple years ago; couldn't resist. It's got a great "medieval" look, and the fork having 3 prongs rather than the usual 4 definitely adds to the effect. I've wanted to make some kind of carrying case for them for a long time as well.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I enjoy my "Dwarven Pocket knife" for it's portability and its versatility. I can really only use it in the dwarven kit as it certainly would not be period outside Middle Earth. Stella and I have a very nice set of feast gear we keep in a rough canvas bag and in it are very rustic dishes, bowls and cups with service for four. I use my wooden trencher and my drinking horn along with the same utensils that are in Stella's set that I made for her (inspired by the same page in the Hobbit Chronicles, but with a bit of a Rohiric flair)

Last edited by Ringulf on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Wow, Manveruon and Ringulf, great minds think alike! Yep, been wanting something to carry them around in for a while, right now they are wrapped in an oversized napkin in my pack. What started me thinking about it again is reading what the designers at Weta had said about when they designed the dwarves mess kit, how some would be old and worn and picked up along the way, which I am sure a Ranger's kit would be like as well. I like yours, Ringulf. I will have to take some time tomorrow and sit down and think this out!

Ken
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id118.html

Here are some pretty cool Roman eating utensils, including the folding utensil set.
You can't take the sky from me.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

These are my current set. I bought the fork & spoon at the Ren Faire, the noggin I made fro ma wood bowl, the mug & plate from a thrift store.

The wood spoon to the right I tried and rejected. The long fork & spoon I forged myself but they were too long so I replaced them with the set onthe left. I traded some English flint for the set.

I found this fry pan at the swap meet at a Mexican stall. A but of wire and my fork becomes the handle.

I tend to carry them in a cloth bag I made which doubles as a pot-holder.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

The fork/handle set-up is kind of genius. I totally love it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains