A Few Bow Making .pdf's

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

A Few Bow Making .pdf's

Post by Daerir »

I snoop around on the internet all the time trying to find a good build-along for bows and I found one that I am gonna attempt eventually and another that I did follow, roughly and I dont know the outcome yet.

LONGBOW: http://www.mrsoso.nl/bushcraft/Carving- ... at-Bow.pdf

RECURVE: http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery/ ... -plans.pdf

I made a recurve, just excluded the fiberglass laminations and replaced them with wood. Its done but I need to string it and to be completely honest, I am terrified to do it :lol: I just know its gonna break
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: A Few Bow Making .pdf's

Post by Beornmann »

Great links.
Daerir wrote: I just know its gonna break
So, it you don't string it, you have a wonderful decorative wall-hanger conversation piece.
If you string it and it fails, you have kindling and after some reflection on why it failed, you have experience.
If you string it and it works, then ... well then, there you have it.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Beornmann wrote:Great links.
Daerir wrote: I just know its gonna break
So, it you don't string it, you have a wonderful decorative wall-hanger conversation piece.
If you string it and it fails, you have kindling and after some reflection on why it failed, you have experience.
If you string it and it works, then ... well then, there you have it.
Yeah it snapped lol
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

:( :cry: :cry:

Crap. Well, if you can't shoot it then it wasn't really a bow. The sound of a bow failing is comparable to dropping a vase or crunching on an egg shell in scrambled eggs; very cringe-worthy and nerve-damaging.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yup. In the SCA I'm known as Michael Brekebowe, for perhaps obvious reasons. I know the sound and feeling of a bow breaking all too well. Terrible feeling, that. Still, it was a noble attempt, and hopefully you have learned valuable information during the process!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Manveruon wrote:Yup. In the SCA I'm known as Michael Brekebowe, for perhaps obvious reasons. I know the sound and feeling of a bow breaking all too well. Terrible feeling, that. Still, it was a noble attempt, and hopefully you have learned valuable information during the process!
Yupp, stick to longbows or steamed recurve :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, fair enough.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I also found a really good tutorial video on YouTube. He makes the bow from osage and its not even straight! Here's the links.

PART I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPnlYj5NPc
PART II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyJ14yeEnI
PART III https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaRB1sHVdw
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Never found a better resource than Sam Harper's site.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.