Extant Russian Boot

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Extant Russian Boot

Post by caedmon »

Sadly I know nothing more.

Purportedly 11th century Rus, but it feels 15th century to me. From http://www.pinterest.com/pin/567594359262389279/
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Extant Russian Boot

Post by Ringulf »

Love it!
I have been going back and forth between making a pair of Baltics and modified Plainsboot this one is very much like(aside from the lacing) the Varangian Guardsman on the cover of Osprey's Men At Arms series: The Vikings.
Simple boot, pointed toe (not my favorite, but when done well it is stylish and comfortable) plenty of room for customization. :mrgreen:

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very cool. Like the simple lacing and the height. Awesome.

Pretty sure I'm seeing a clump sole on there. Neat-o.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Yup, looks like a "high boot of supple leather" to me!

In addition to details of its provenance, we definitely need a better (non-jumble-y) view of the closure method. Do the ties go to toggles on the other side?, or other ties? or what? Inquiring minds want to know!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've seen this picture floating around Pinterest for a while now, but I can never seem to track down its origin. I would also very much like to know, because from what I understand from having asked around about it for a while now, tall boots like this really weren't common until the later Middle Ages. Still, if these are from Russia, that might make a difference.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

If it's 11th century and from a Viking-related culture, then it's probably a turnshoe. If it's a clump sole then it's likely not as old.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.