Sodhopper style boots pattern!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Sodhopper style boots pattern!

Post by Willrett »

they look great!!!
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice job! the shape and the stitching are just right! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Totally gorgeous!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Excellent job !!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Beautiful! I love the contrast of colors. A question, though: does the strip of leather upon which you set the buttons serve any purpose other than being ornamental?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
KuCor

Post by KuCor »

I find that it adds extra strength and structure to the boot. Especially around the areas of where I stitched the buttons since this is the spots the boot is being pulled on by the lace. But over all, one could go with out it fine depending on the leather used. Bull hide is tough stuff. The fact I double the layers in that area with this accent piece, I know I wont have any 'ripping' any time soon in the leather.

To answer your question more clearly; yes, that is more ornamental and could be shaped in any fashion in that area or not at all.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I recently finished mine, so I have pictures! (minus the hard soles, but I'm in no hurry to install those, and will enjoy the +stealth level until then)

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry when I took these, so there are none of me wearing them, but I'm sure you will see some of those eventually.

And the quality is not that great either. :/

Obviously, I was inspired by KuCor. :mrgreen:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Don't sell yourself short man, that's a great job you've done there.
Winter is coming
KuCor

Post by KuCor »

Ernildir. I'm curious if you have put the soles on these yet? The boots turned out great. Would love to see more pics of your boots. -How did you fare with that tutorial? I found it to be quite frustrating and vague. I let the leather guide me in the end.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

They're great, Eric!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

KuCor,

No, I have not put the soles on yet, and am thinking I probably won't until I start to get some serious wear in the unsoled moccs. Originally I was planning to get them on sooner, but I found them to be so incredibly comfortable and fun to walk in without soles that I am delaying. :mrgreen:

Next time I am in kit I will try to get some pics of me wearing them for you.

I didn't find the tutorial to be too unfollowable, but I did forego cutting out the heel piece and just used one cutout for the entire back section. Couldn't see that it was worth the effort or even did much good to have a separate piece for the heel.

Thanks, Greg!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

KuCor wrote:Ernildir. I'm curious if you have put the soles on these yet? The boots turned out great. Would love to see more pics of your boots. -How did you fare with that tutorial? I found it to be quite frustrating and vague. I let the leather guide me in the end.
I finally got around to taking a better picture last night while I was trying to take pictures of my new "Russ Southern Ranger Pants." :mrgreen: The boot picture turned out better because I wasn't taking a picture of a mirror.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow those realy look great man! fantastic job! As far as the sole goes, just sew another peice of leather on the bottom and when it shows wear replace it, that way you dont have to remove the original stitching and the shape of your boot and you can still have that "next to barefoot experience without risking holes! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ringulf wrote:Wow those realy look gret man! fantastic job! As far as the sole goes, just sew another peice of leather on the bottom and when it shows wear replace it, that way you dont have to remove the original stitching and the shape of your boot and you can still have that "next to barefoot experience without risking holes! :mrgreen:
Thank you! I really like that replaceable sole idea. I think I will try that.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I enjoy reading this thread with interest. It's a good example of the "Budget Authenticity" mindset that is ruling here.

I've made a few pairs of medieval shoes and moccasins personally, and now I don't hestitate to pay big bucks for a good pair, since I know what the craftsman has to go through. :P

Although I think that Sodhoppers are very overpriced. How much would you charge for a pair that you made?

I often go trekking in a low pair of soft moccasins made by Steger, but even if Professor Tolkien says that rangers wore high boots, that's not for me; I've never felt comfortable in high boots (except in rattlesnake country).

Authentic moccasins or medieval shoes do not have extra outer soles made of rubber or whatever, as we are accustomed. Lacking these rubber outer soles may be less comfortable, but more importantly, modern people find themselves slipping and falling without them. Apparently people walked a little differently, with their weight more centered.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.