Re-hilted Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re-hilted Sword

Post by Eothain »

So a few years ago I received my first functional sword - the Medieval Dragon Sword from Medieval Collectibles. It wasn't exactly my style, and since then I bought my own sword, which I am in love with. Some weeks ago the MDS fell from it's corner pretty dang hard, and the hilt was loosened quite a bit. So I ended up taking it apart and putting a different hilt on it. Throughout my teenaged years I purchased some LotR wall hangers, including like five different Strider swords. One of them was pretty high quality, I think it may have been United Cutlery make but never was for sure. It's magnetic so I don't think it is made from pewter, and the thing has been through alot of abuse, I trained with it daily, and fought with it daily as well, although I probably shouldn't have. Anyways, since I own a bunch of Strider swords, I decided to put what seems like a good sturdy handle, onto a sword I've never really liked so much... and it resulted in something I very much like, and may try to get a back scabbard for.

What do you think?

The original, as advertised:

Re-hilted:
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
ineffableone

Re: Re-hilted Sword

Post by ineffableone »

Looking much better. Good job.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

very well done. it looks much better with that guard and hilt.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Fantastic!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Agreed, much better looking
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

How does she cut?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks guys! I haven't done a cutting test with it's new hardware yet. When it had the original hilt it was just fine at cutting, it's a very sharp blade. I have been unsheathing it and flicking it around, and it does seem a little more maneuverable now.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lucked out that those fittings fit the blade so well. Looks good!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Great work! Congratulations!!
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

So I FINALLY got around to testing this sword, and it was holding up very well when I was using it. A friend of mine wanted to try, he had never tried something like this before and therefore his cut was angled instead of straight when he hit the 2 liter bottle across my front lawn. He almost dropped the sword from the pain that he felt in his wrist following a not-so-graceful slash at a bottle. On inspection of the sword.... well... let's just say this "hand-forged, battle-ready" weapon was definitely not what it was boasted to be.

He apologized immensely for what he had done, I felt so bad. He didn't understand at the time that we were lucky this thing didn't snap with a good amount of momentum. I explained to him that he in fact did me a favor by revealing this blade's true colors, and that it really didn't upset me in any way. Sure the false advertising sucks, but this may be the reason there was no manufacturer listed for making this blade. Also why the site that sold these only carried them for a few months.

In the end I still have my Abrazir! And not to mention it was slicing the heck out of some water-filled 2 liter bottles, right along with Wolfreach!

Just thought I would share this with you guys, it's actually quite humorous to me!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That's a shame but glad you're both safe.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Damn, that's a shame. To be honest, I must admit, I was a little afraid something like that might happen, mainly because Medieval Collectibles has a not-so-stellar reputation, from what I've heard (or at least they used to, that may have changed), and the original sword looked a little... I dunno... "off", I guess, to my eye, but I didn't sweat it too much at the time. Either way, it's a major bummer to have put the work into it and then this happens. I feel like you could still consider re-using the hilt again though. Just this time maybe try to look for a bare blade from somewhere like Hanwei or Windlass, since they're reputable and you know definitely what you're getting from them. Sorry man!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

On happy note maybe you can cut the blade in half and rework it into a short sword/eket or dagger blade.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ursus wrote:On happy note maybe you can cut the blade in half and rework it into a short sword/eket or dagger blade.
Great idea! that is what I would do to have a companion for the next Ranger sword of better quality.
I am happy to hear that wofreach is still taring it up! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ursus wrote:On happy note maybe you can cut the blade in half and rework it into a short sword/eket or dagger blade.
Love this idea!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains